PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC PPC 6800
Carrier: Verizon

aplawing is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tethering troubles... What to do?

Ok, so I have searched and searched and have yet to find the answers that I am looking for about my new phone. I just bought my 6800, works great. I love it. I have a regular Alltel plan with 900 anytime minutes to share with my family(2lines) and I have unlimited data pack on my line(6800).

I had NO problems and NO extra charges on my old phone(MotoQ) when I used ModemLink. I just activated the Modem Link program, plugged it in, and made a dial up connecting that dialed #777 and it connected to the internet no problem, without tethering charges and most importantly, without using my minutes.

I only want to do what I have been doing. I want to be able to use my unlimited data for internet on my PC occasionally. But I can not afford to loose my minutes. I don't download much of anything, only browsing and occasionally youtube. I know that the 6800 has Internet Sharing, but I have heard that it is detectible and that it uses minutes?

SO:
Is ICS detectable? If so, will Alltel throw a charge on my bill for it? Will it use my airtime minutes? I can't afford to play around with it to even see, my minutes are super tight for the next two weeks, I only have about 30 left.

The other option is PDANet. I am willing to pay the $35 for the peace of mind that it won't be detected and that it won't use my minutes... Is this the case?

Does PDANet use airtime minutes or JUST data? Is it definitly undetectible?

I am familiar with hacking registries on the Q and would do it on the 6800 if I KNEW for a fact that it would work and I wouldn't get a crazy bill, but that's just it, I am afraid it won't work and I'd just rather pay the $35 and be done with it unless someone can confirm a simple hack that will work for sure.

Thanks a lot,

aplawing
Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

BigRedGonzo is becoming a great contributor
Re: Tethering troubles... What to do?

I'm on Alltel and have a similar plan to yours, but I have 3 lines and only 500 minutes. We really don't talk on the cells a lot. I use Internet Sharing all the time and have never noticed any use of minutes or any additional charges. I can't say that I have gone out looking for the usage of minutes, but I do keep an eye on my bill and for the past year (since I started this contract,) we have held true to our norm 250-300 minute usage. I do know that I have updated BuildOS over the ICS connection and didn't notice any difference in my bill. Again, that doesn't mean that I didn't miss it, but sometimes I am connected for hours and don't notice any difference.

Just FYI,
Old 06-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

just go to alltel and tell them you want the connect pack 2 i think it is. its 9.99 a month and it has unlmited data. better than 35 dollars a month for sure. or are you telling me that YOU HAVE UNLIMITED DATA and that it still shows up on your minutes?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola A855 Droid

vesty16277 is keeping up the good workvesty16277 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to vesty16277

I don't recall minutes being used on any plan since the days of "dial-up" tethering. Most services are two seperate things. As far as detecting...from what I've read it as long as you don't do anything outside of what you would already do on you're phones internet without tethering you should be fine. It's alot of streaming video, torrents, P2P that gets you.
1- Motorola A855 Droid
1 - Flesh Light

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan