PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6800
Carrier: Alltel

Doobla is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Confused about whether unlocking is necessary...

Hi Guys,

I really appreciate what you have going here. It has been very helpful to me. I have a PPC6700 and it is having random hardware issues so I am considering upgrading to a 6800 bought off of ebay. If I buy a 6800 from, say, Sprint that is CDMA could I simply load a new ROM and activate it on my Alltel account? Or do I need to unlock it? Is there anything else I need to do before just loading the ROM?

I'm trying to determine if I need to just buy an Alltel phone or if any PPC6800 would do as long as it is CDMA since that si what Alltel uses.

Thanks in advance,

Jon
Old 02-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6800

chevyforlife is keeping up the good workchevyforlife is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to chevyforlife
Re: Confused about whether unlocking is necessary...

if your on alltel get an alltel phone with a clear ESN. cause then you dont have to do anything but load a newer official release. and when u unlock it.... the carriers dont like it very much...

~chevy
Radio: 3.42.50
Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Doobla is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyforlife View Post
if your on alltel get an alltel phone with a clear ESN. cause then you dont have to do anything but load a newer official release. and when u unlock it.... the carriers dont like it very much...

~chevy
I appreciate the response but that sort of didn't answer my real question. I'm sure they don't like you unlocking the phone from another carrier and bringing it to their service because it cuts into their profits. What I'm wondering is...

1. Is it necessary to unlock a phone from another carrier if they have the same radio and such or can you simply flash a new rom with Alltel's cab included?
2. Will Alltel use the phone (whether they like it or not) since it is the same technology or will I be unable to use the phone with Alltel because of xx reason?

Thanks,

Jon
Old 02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Alltel will check the ESN and a lot of the time they will not add the phone if it isn't listed as there ESN.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Doobla is a n00b

Ok, so I found a great deal on a couple of Verizon 6800's so I bought them. I checked the ESN's with Alltel and they said they would activate them.

Now I read in the official unlock/custom rom thread and got a bit scared due to it talking about not using the unlock software with a version 2.xx ROM which my Device Information Control Panel reports is my version. It also talks in that thread about upgrading the GPS radio after unlocking. Is it talking about a software update or physically changing the hardware radio? That's scary stuff to me.

Bottom line is that I know enough that I have been updating the software ROM on my old 6700 using the kitchen for a while but this unlocking bit and the process behind it has me worried I will trash the phone. Peace of mind would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
Old 02-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Mr. Chevy

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Go through the directions carefully and don't skip any steps and you will be ok. Make sure you read them a couple times to understand them fully and make sure you have everything downloaded you will need. It is a piece of cake if you follow the directions.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Doobla is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
Go through the directions carefully and don't skip any steps and you will be ok. Make sure you read them a couple times to understand them fully and make sure you have everything downloaded you will need. It is a piece of cake if you follow the directions.
Ok, I followed all of the directions and upgraded my bootloader, radio and ROM. Even though I selected Alltel fro the carrier when cooking the ROM, and it shows Alltel when dialing data, when you dial *228 you get a Verizon prompt still.

Alltel was happy to activate it but because I can't dial *228 and get through to the Alltel service instead of Verizon, I can;t complete the Alltel activation process.

I feel like I am in the home stretch and would love it if anybody could help me get this resolved. Thanks much in advance!

Jon
Old 02-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Mr. Chevy

Sounds like a EPST problem but I am no expert. ##778 then send to enter EPST. My "NAM Name" is VZW, I guess yours is to since it was a verizon phone maybe this needs to be changed. Sorry I don't know what to change but I think you might start looking at EPST settings.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Doobla is a n00b

Thanks, I will search around for that now that I know what to look for. If you happen to learn anything else that you think would be helpful to me, the help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Mr. Chevy

You need a Alltel PRL. http://corolada.com/prl/

##778 and send
Edit
000000 is the code
View Info then PRL
Edit PRL - Browse device for PRL you downloaded
Apply, and the phone will reset.

Not for sure on these directions or if this is the problem since I haven't done it but it seems right. Proceed at your own risk.

Edit: Ok hold everything it might be the PRI that is the problem. I don't know anymore. I guess this is a subject I need more research in.

Last edited by drewcam888; 02-18-2009 at 05:03 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan