PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero 1.5 OS
Carrier: Sprint

jfolliard is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
storage card vs. main memory

Mogul 6800 - just tried to install a program and apparently I don't have enough "storage memory" - The hardware screen shows Flash size of 256MB with 105 mb used for OS Memory and 151 mb of storage memory - 139 mb used - just 12 mb left.

I really don't know much about memory.

Up to now I've been loaded all my programs via cabs into "Device" memory instead of Storage Card.

Is that the problem?

If so, what's the difference - pros and cons - as to where to load programs? Are certain programs better in Device memory while it doesn't matter for others?

Thanks for the education!

Jack
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

arparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to arparent
Re: storage card vs. main memory

No difference as far as operation. If you install to the storage card then it won't be available if the card is removed. I install all programs to the internal memory and store all files on the card, but I don't have that many programs.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:52 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

In my situation, most of my applications are stored on the card. Loading takes a bit longer, but actual operation does not appear to be significantly different.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Titan 6800
Carrier: Movilnet

Lex_Luthor is a n00b

Hi.. I use the storage card for those programs that needs many megabytes for being installed, like Garmin Mobile XT, Games.. Stuff like that.. For minor programs, y use the Main memory, like messenger, skyfire, media players.. Essentially, there must be an equal distribution between main memory and storage card for those things we install.. I think that brings us the correct function of our WM device....

Greetings from Venezuela...
Old 01-28-2009, 10:32 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

Something else to know is that programs that are accessed immediately upon startup (e.g. Today plugins) need to be installed to the device, as there is lag time accessing the card.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel 6800 > Touch Pro > Imagio>Droid Razr
Carrier: Alltel>Verizon

mastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Many programs will inform you when you install that it needs to go into main memory. Some will still go into main memory even if you tell it to go to the storage card.
As previously stated, programs that are used upon startup and that are in your startup directory should always be in main memory, and data on the storage card.

I would suggest you download "Advanced Configuration Tool" [available here http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...tion-tool.html] and change default locations for things like download files, IE cache, cookies, history; and anything you can to storage card.
Bottom line is to keep as much main memory free as possible.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Get a 2GB or bigger SD card and move photos, music and important cabs to the card. That will free up some device storage memory.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan