PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc

fifty1ford is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC Auto switch WiFi/ISP

OK, I must be missing something but I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for.
I have a HTC 6800.

When I have my WiFi switch turned to ‘on’ I want my phone to use WiFi for email/web.
When it is off, I want to use my ‘ISP’/cell connection.

Seems simple, but how do I make it happen?
I’ve been searching this forum and the web for a couple of hours now…

I don’t want to have to go change settings in ‘Network Management’ every time.
Also, using the ‘ISP’/cell connection automatically if WiFi cannot connect would be great, but I’d settle for it simply recognizing that when WiFi is off it should use the cell connection.

Is there a setting I'm missing or a program for this?

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Re: HTC Auto switch WiFi/ISP

I think that when Wi-Fi is off, if your in coverage, it automatically connects to your Cell Connection. You could also use the Hardware switch located on the left side of the phone, opposite of the Camera button... Using this, you can switch between Wi-Fi and Cell... To see if it is connecting with a Wi-Fi connection, you will see a mini tower, and it will look like it is broadcasting out data, then you are connected to Wi-Fi..
Old 11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

fifty1ford is a n00b

Thanks. I do use the switch to turn off WiFi when I'm not using it. The problem is that for email for example, errors when I do a send recive saying that my current connection settings will not allow me to connect.

It seems that it will only use what is set under 'Connections, Advanced, Select Networks, Programs that automaticly connect to the Internet'

I can only select 'My work Network' (this is WiFi) or 'My ISP' (This is the Cell connection)

There is no option to choose based on what it can connect with.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

There might be a program that helps you out, but I know of none...
Old 11-11-2008, 08:17 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

When you push Connect Via in the options, choose the Internet.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

fifty1ford is a n00b

Thanks, but this is not a option.
In Settings->Connections->Advanced->Select Networks

There are two spots, one for programs that connect to the internet, and one that connect to a private network.

In the drop down there are two options, on is called 'My ISP' this is my cell connection to #777.

The other is 'My Work Network' this is the WiFi connection.

There is no option for 'Internet' and there is no option to switch this setting based on the wireless switch on the side of the phone....

So, this means that if I AM using WiFi, say at home, and then I leave my house, my phone will not recive new emails until I go to control panel and manually change these connection settings... It does not seem to ever figure out that:
"there is no WiFi connection... so I should Dial #777 and use the 'cell modem' to recive email"

The really dumb thing is that in Windows(not mobile) on a laptop this happens without issue... If there is no WiFi connection but there is a wired connection it uses whatever it has... You can even very simply have it use a dialup connection if it has no WiFi or Wired connection.

This is quite the pain.....

Anyone out there have some ideas?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan