PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

96XJSport is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need Help - Lost Data, Possibly B/C of ActiveSync

Hopefully posting this in the right place...

Had my Mogul for a while now and have had few issues syncing my data to Outlook. But last night I had some issues, and this morning I noticed all of my contacts lost their:

a) voice speed dialing

b) specific ringtones for each contact (all using generic now)

So what I'm thinking is that something happened during the sync process that wiped the contacts clean, then I re-synced, causing all my contacts to be reinstalled from Outlook, but without the Mogul-specific settings (i.e. ringtones and voice speed dial properties).

2 questions:

Thoughts? And any chance of recovering info?

Yes, I know I need to be backing up, and I haven't. I will definitely be looking into this now...never thought I needed to, due to being "synced" with my Outlook. If anyone has recommendations on specific methods, I'd love to hear them...I'll spend some time researching regardless....

BTW, the "issues" I had were due to me, for the first time, trying to sync via Bluetooth, instead of USB. Never did figure it out...Computer side of BT wants me to use com port 41 everytime, which is obviously way to high of a port number for ActiveSync. So all that wasted time, all to lose my settings/info...

Last edited by 96XJSport; 10-10-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Need Help - Lost Data, Possibly B/C of ActiveSync

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96XJSport View Post

Yes, I know I need to be backing up, and I haven't. I will definitely be looking into this now...never thought I needed to, due to being "synced" with my Outlook. If anyone has recommendations on specific methods, I'd love to hear them...I'll spend some time researching regardless....
I have tried every BU system there is & all I use now is SPB Backup.

I don't even worry about messing up my system anymore as all I have to do is a hard reset & then restore my latest BU file & I am back in business in no time.

I have Sprite also, but I have not has as consistently perfect restores from that so I never use it anymore.

~John
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

96XJSport is a n00b

Thanks J, I've heard a lot about SPB...I'll look into that some more for sure....
Old 10-10-2008, 11:25 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

+1 for SPB. I use that along with a Dashwire account. There's no way in hell I would rely on just WMDC (ActiveSync for Vista). The great thing about SPB is that is backs up your ENTIRE device, apps, settings, and all. ActiveSync just backs up whatever is in Outlook. Dashwire takes that a step farther and also backs up emails, text messages, voicemail, pix, & videos. It's free, which is also a good thing.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

96XJSport is a n00b

Thanks for the advice guys...

Updated OP to provide some add'l info...just like to hear thoughts and if anyone else has experienced a similar situation...
Old 10-11-2008, 02:00 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 6800
Carrier: US Cellular

rasmith3530 is a n00b

+1 for Dashwire. Unlike the other solutions mentioned here, Dashwire is platform independent, menaing that your PC does not have to be running Windows to make it work!

Posted via Ubuntu Linux (v.8.04)
Old 10-11-2008, 05:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

davidgelb is just getting started

Yup, can't stress enough the use of a backup program. I agree with the other posters...SPB backup is consistently the best I have found. I have used free programs and Sprite, but SPB just seems to be faster and more reliable.

I tried Dashwire and found it to be a little much for me since I backup everything with SPB. I do use Mail2Web, though, which is great for backing up calendar and contacts. I would rather have availability to get my calendar and contacts if my device goes down or if I leave it somewhere. Since I know pictures, text, etc are in my backup, if I have an emergency, I know I can get to my current calendar and contacts on Mail2Web.

Mail2Web is also free and works via ActiveSync wireless (which has been extremely reliable for me). It is backed up whenever I change something on my Mogul or when I connect it to a computer running activesync.

Hope this helps a little.

-David
Old 10-11-2008, 05:35 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

FWIW, outlook sync *should* preserve custom ringtones, etc. But then you know how that goes.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

96XJSport is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
FWIW, outlook sync *should* preserve custom ringtones, etc. But then you know how that goes.
That is what I was wondering! Does Outlook save "phone specific" settings along with your contacts? And I finally have an answer! If so, why do I have all of my contacts, but no custom ringtones or voice speed dialing for each contact?

Also worth mentioning: I have HTC HC, and also missing after this "debacle" is my customized "favorite people". "Launcher" still contains my chosen program "shortcuts". (leading me to believe my data loss was specifically "contact" related) THOUGHTS?

BTW, BIG thanks for all recommendations on backup options...keep them coming! Personal experience/recommendations hold a lot of weight...

Last edited by 96XJSport; 10-11-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:51 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I've only used DotFred's PIMBackup and it is amazing.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan