PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 11:34 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: hero
Carrier: sprint

sharkalvarez is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
internet sharing

Im trying to use my phone as a modem and not being chrged.Is there a cab out there that lets me do that.I know theres alot of informatin out there im i dont understand the terminology (cooking the rom or kitchen and all that).Can someone help me where i can just download a cab connect my phone and use the internet.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

jthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuff
Re: internet sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkalvarez View Post
Im trying to use my phone as a modem and not being chrged.Is there a cab out there that lets me do that.I know theres alot of informatin out there im i dont understand the terminology (cooking the rom or kitchen and all that).Can someone help me where i can just download a cab connect my phone and use the internet.
All you have to do is connect you phone to your computer, make sure you have active sync running, go into programs and launch Internet Connection Sharing. On the bottom left click on connect. You will not be charged extra if you have a data plan.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:54 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

sharkalvarez is a n00b

The data plan is the plan that you pay extra to use your phone as a modem.I think i have the unlimited plan.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Regular 'Geeker

jthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuff

Quote:
The data plan is the plan that you pay extra to use your phone as a modem.I think i have the unlimited plan.
Who is your carrier? Also if you have the data plan on your phone you will not need to pay the extra money to use your phone as a modem.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:03 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

sharkalvarez is a n00b

sprint.Idont think i have the data plan.I have read on ppcgeeks that there is a way to teather and use your phone as a modem as long as you phone has internet service on it.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Sprint and i dont think i have the data plan.b
If you don't have the data plan on your phone, then you will be charged either way. On for using your phone as a modem, but for accessing data (Internet) on your phone...
Old 09-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
sprint.Idont think i have the data plan.I have read on ppcgeeks that there is a way to teather and use your phone as a modem as long as you phone has internet service on it.
I am not sure... I think they may mean that you do not have to pay the extra $20 dollars a month you use your phone as a modem. I am not sure that there is a way to bypass data charges through Sprint...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:08 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

sharkalvarez is a n00b

I think there is i read somwhere but cant find that thread anymore that you can.They start talking about cooking and registry and they lose me
Old 09-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: T7380 Touch Pro 2 <-6850 <-6800 <- 6700 <- 6600...

wavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuff

Here's how it works: jthomas is correct. You need a data plan to use the internet on your phone or to tether it to your computer. If you don't, you'll be charged an ungodly rate per Kb. Even if you have a data plan, if you thether to a pc then use "Phone as a modem" you will be charged additional on top of your data plan. The other threads you're reading are talking about if you have a data plan, tethering and not getting charged extra. To do that you must use connnet: "Sprint PCS" (not phone as a modem). If you're on 6.1 then they locked out that function, but you can get it back through a reg edit. Hope this helps
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:28 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

sharkalvarez is a n00b

ok thanks

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan