PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 01:27 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
easy internet sharing

ok, i'm not a noob, but my mom is. she has to go out of town for a fam emergency in a few hours. I'm sending her with my laptop and phone, as she needs to do grades (she's a teacher)
I have been sharing to my laptop via bluetooth, but that can get tricky and bt has to be ON.

my original though was to just switch to my old phone (mm-7400) so she could just plug it in and go, only to be reminded that i can't have my data cable and power plugged in at the same time (too close to each other), so back to the mogul I go.

is there a way (I know there are tons, that's why i'm asking) to just plug in the usb and dial the connection from xp.. right now it seams i have to open up the internet sharing app first.

again my mom is a total noob and I gotta keep this absolutely simple. (ie no messing with the phone)
Old 04-22-2008, 02:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint PCS

willieesco28 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: easy internet sharing

Well the way I get online with my Mogul/Touch is by connecting to power vision thru the phone, and while the data arrows are present open up the internet sharing app and connect with the usb cable and via sprint pcs network. Once you do this you will see the phone say please check your usb cable at this point just simply plug the cable into the laptop and it will be recognized as Windows based Modem of some sort and you will be able to surf the net basically for free. But be warned this can render your phone unable to connect to the net even thru the phone if used too much. I only use it on occasions when I'm at work and wanna surf the net just to check somethings real quick. The way around ruining your powervision capabilities on the phone is to keep a couple of back ups on your storage card to restore the phone to a earlier point. Also be warned the sprint is way againist data tethering W/O a phone as a modem plan. So dont get data happy and start downloading 20 gigs of data in a month if you never used more then 1 or 2 gigs a month in the past.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:38 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Threadstarter

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

thanks, for the reply but that's what I'm trying to avoid, I don't want her to have to do anything with the phone other than plug it in. That's how it works with my sanyo.
It looks like that's what i'm sending with her, as the battery still seems ok. (been testing for a while now)
I would have been nice to have evdo.a but oh well (she was going to sign up for aol, just for access for a week or two. dumb i know)

also, I was unable to swap esn's to my sanyo on sprints site. I called in and was told it's because PAM was on my account (unlimited vision) and the sanyo didn't support it.. obviously the rep was new(ish). anyway she hung up on me, and i called back in to retentions as i noticed my bill was messed up anyway, and that guy didn't have any issues. I think it's because the sanyo is a legacy phone and wasn't built into the ensomble(*sp) billing system.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint PCS

willieesco28 is a n00b

Most likely. Even though you could easily get online with the sanyo is because the PAM block was never built into older phones. You could just plug it and surf , but if you used too much data you could have gotten your service terminated. With the newer PDA phones there's so much data being pulled and sent through the air that it's hard to tell what your doing with the phone. But they red flag you if they notice that your pullin in 30 gigs and send out 10 gigs a month. Anyway that's the onl way around it unless you wanna pay for PAM!!!.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

xclusiv_1 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to xclusiv_1

get pda net for windows mobile... all she has to do is plug in the phone as if you were going to sync ig with active sync and double click the icon and wallah... u r connected.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:36 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Threadstarter

thanks, but $35 is a little steep for something that only saves one step on the phone, plus it relies on cractivesync. might not be bad if it were her full time phone. (she's clutching onto her old uscc plan for 20/mo)
Old 04-23-2008, 10:05 PM
kps
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

kps is a n00b

I use WMWifiRouter. Works great. Turn on wifi and laptop will connect to phone via wifi while phone uses EVDO to connect to web. Good to be plugged in to the computer or wall outlet as it really drains the battery much quicker than normal use.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan