PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Lurker

FireWERX is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Swimming Moguls

For future reference, there's two other methods that would work in such a scenario.

1) Take the battery and SD card out and soak the phone in 99.x% isoproyl alcohol to clean it. This probably won't be needed unless you dropped it in the ocean or something salty. Let it dry for a very long time, I'd wait 2 days.

2) I read you can put your wet phone in a bag full of rice and the rice will absorb the moisture.

LOL :P
Old 04-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

i would never drop my phone in ANY liquid... never heard the alcohol bath option before... but for the rice treatment yes I've heard of it and know it works from a friend who tried it... not sure just how wet he got his phone though either.

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

soinkster is keeping up the good worksoinkster is keeping up the good work

wtf submerge my phone in a liquid ? I don't buy that method im very skeptical of that suggestion ...smh get out of here!! this guy at work suggested putting it in the freezer anyone familiar with this for saving a phone ?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6800

warlock is a n00b

do not put it in the freezer. the ice crystals from the moisture will destroy it.

I've killed several phones when I was working at the zoo. Eventually I was able to start saving them by turning them off after they fall in, and then taking them apart quickly and letting them dry by either air, fan, or blowdryer.

Funniest time was when i dropped it in the 9.5ft gator tank and jumped right in after it...now THAT'S determination :P
Old 04-15-2008, 05:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO

xefe is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock View Post
do not put it in the freezer. the ice crystals from the moisture will destroy it.

I've killed several phones when I was working at the zoo. Eventually I was able to start saving them by turning them off after they fall in, and then taking them apart quickly and letting them dry by either air, fan, or blowdryer.

Funniest time was when i dropped it in the 9.5ft gator tank and jumped right in after it...now THAT'S determination :P

mmmmmhhhmmmmmmm
Old 04-15-2008, 06:47 AM
N00b

cdigitaldetroit is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by soinkster View Post
wtf submerge my phone in a liquid ? I don't buy that method im very skeptical of that suggestion ...smh get out of here!! this guy at work suggested putting it in the freezer anyone familiar with this for saving a phone ?
I know it's hard to belive, but there are actualy liquids that displace water. WD40 being one of them. I DO NOT recomend spraying your phone down with WD40 however. Also, not all liquids conduct electricity.
The idea behind alcohol is it will displace the water, and then evaporate quickly. It also acts as a mild solvent, cleaning the parts as well.
There are two pontential problems I see with this however. The alcohol could react with any plastic peices on the phone. If you were to just clean the circuit board with alcohol, this might not be too much off a problem.
The second is the screen. I'm not too sure with how the alcohol will react with the membrane that most lcd's use for there contacts. It could also effect the touchscreen as well.
Usualy, you should be fine just removing power from the device and letting it dry completely. It realy depends on how long it was submerged for though.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWERX View Post
For future reference, there's two other methods that would work in such a scenario.

1) Take the battery and SD card out and soak the phone in 99.x% isoproyl alcohol to clean it. This probably won't be needed unless you dropped it in the ocean or something salty. Let it dry for a very long time, I'd wait 2 days.

2) I read you can put your wet phone in a bag full of rice and the rice will absorb the moisture.

LOL :P
That alcohol treatment should leave a nice milky fog on your screen. Same reason you don't clean your screen on your phone or your flatscreen with anything alcohol or amonia based.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

clsk1 is a n00b

I dropped my mogul down a flight of cement stairs, dropped it in the bath, and broke off the usb plastic port (jbwelded it). How it works perfectly today? I have no clue... I was horrified it would never work again after each of those incidents.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

I have never even dropped my Mogul... yet. But I remember when I was on call a few years ago and I went through three pagers in one month. Damn things kept going off in the middle of the night and I would throw them against the wall, in my sleep. My wife kept waking me up saying "What the *#$! are you doing?"

Did get myself removed from the on call cycle though =D>
Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: sprint mogul
Carrier: sprint

indevolatile is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsk1 View Post
I dropped my mogul down a flight of cement stairs, dropped it in the bath, and broke off the usb plastic port (jbwelded it). How it works perfectly today? I have no clue... I was horrified it would never work again after each of those incidents.
Jeez, I remember having that feeling when I accidentally yanked it out of my pocket by the headphone cord (snagged on a chair as I was walking past) and it fell on a carpeted floor from about 3 feet. Maybe they're not quite as delicate as I had thought.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan