PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Lurker

DONU is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
old labtop through USB

I just got my new mogul (-: Never had one of these phones. Can anybody send me in the right direction about hooking this phone to my old labtop through USB with an XP PRO OS, so I can connect the puter to the Internet while I'm at work. I don't have internet at work, let alone a wireless card? Is it hard to do? Is there a FAQ for it.?

What basic tweaks or ROM Registry tweaks are recommended?
Old 04-11-2008, 02:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

jaak is a n00b
Re: old labtop through USB

There are only about a million threads covering this, you would do well to do a little research.

However, the simplest and easiest way is as follows (if you are using Sprint):

Since you are using XP, you need to have ActiveSync installed.

1. Disconnect the USB cable (if connected).

2. Establish a data connection on the phone. The easiest way is just to start Pocket Internet Explorer.

3. Go to Programs and run Internet Sharing. Make sure the connection says "SprintPCS" (it's debatable whether other options really have a negative effect).

4. Press connect. If you get an error it's because you didn't follow step 1 or 2.

5. Connect the USB cable, your laptop will automatically see the internet connection and do the rest.

Lastly, if you don't have a Phone as Modem plan, there is no guarantee you won't get charged for tethering. However, as far as I know no one has (except people who download massive amounts of data or connect to a different data service (ie. dial other than #777)).

There are other options for doing the above that involve registry edits (makes it so you can skip step 2) or 3rd party programs (makes it appear as though your phone is requesting all the data, rather than a tethered computer).
Old 04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I never did understand why so many people spell "laptop" with a "b" instead of a "p". It sits on "top" of your "lap"!
Old 04-11-2008, 04:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONU View Post
I just got my new mogul (-: Never had one of these phones. Can anybody send me in the right direction...
You are already in the right place. Do some reading and searching on the board and I'm sure that will answer many of your questions. Any questions that you can't find, feel free to ask.

Actually many of your questions you asked, can be answered by simply reading the manual that came with your Mogul (ie. hooking it up to a PC/notebook)
Old 04-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

DONU is a n00b

3.35.651.2 I have the current ROM. I followed the instructions and have the SYNC program on the XP unit. When I connect the USB cable to puter, it does not let me open the web page in Explorer. Firewall is off. LAN icon in control panel says the mobile devices is on and working. I do a "reapair" cache and still nothing. When doing all this the Mogul does not work on the net. It says page not found? Now as soon as I unhook the USB, the internet works on the Mogul? Do I need the apply a "Update" patch on the LAPTOP(YES IT IS SPELLED CORRECT)? What the next best way to accomplish this?
Old 04-12-2008, 02:00 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
I never did understand why so many people spell "laptop" with a "b" instead of a "p". It sits on "top" of your "lap"!
Under or over the dancer????

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan