PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

osva is keeping up the good workosva is keeping up the good workosva is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jumping signal bars.. Is this normal?

My problem is whenever I am connected to evdo.. for example doing a speed test.
I have lets say 3 bars.. when I start the test, the signal bars change to 0 bars.. then jump to 3 again, and again to 0 and so on..
Is this normal??
Also sometimes the speed test wont finish.. just run for a second or two and stop. and thats it..
Does anyone has this problem or know how to solve this..
thanks.

PD. I'm on Sprint and I'm running nexvision's mutant rom.. but before I had no2chem and it was the same..
Old 03-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

badutahboy is keeping up the good workbadutahboy is keeping up the good workbadutahboy is keeping up the good work
Re: Jumping signal bars.. Is this normal?

I've got the same problem... My phone, sitting on my bed, will jump back and forth between 0 bars and nearly full strength..
Old 03-31-2008, 12:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul

ViPaDawG is just getting started

your phone may be jumping towers. I would see what PRL you are using, and see if that has any effect on it, especially if it's jumping from 0 to full. also, check to make sure that when it's full, it's not on 1X, back at home, I have 2-3 EV bars, but when I jump to 1X to make a call, it goes to full signal.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Don't forget that we have only one signal indicator for voice and data, however the strength of the EVDO signal vs Voice are not the same. If something is accessing data, the signal indicator might be switching from data signal to voice and vice versa.

I won't pretend that I know exactly how this works, my knowledge is very limited with CDMA networks, but that's how I understand it works.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:25 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

i get this as well... thanks for the explanations and suggestions VIP and Dishe...

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 03-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Threadstarter

osva is keeping up the good workosva is keeping up the good workosva is keeping up the good work

Well right now I have PRL 60610 because I installed 60711 and I was having problems with it.. a lot of dropped calls. It gave me better signal strength but too much dropped calls.. so I went back to 60610. 60611 gave me same results.
Is this also has something to do with the internet freezing from time to time when loading web pages or doing speed test?
Im on Puerto Rico. and I dont know which PRL to use because I have asked tech support a lot of times and they dont know. Either which PRL or which HA Address.
I think Im going to try older PRL before 60610

Last edited by osva; 03-31-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

my signal is pretty crazy too. i use hudson mobile phone dashboard. It does a LOT of stuff but primarily i use it for signal strength. It's really amazing how much signal i get, but how much is actually usable (i believe 17% signal is the cut off for usability).

check it out and see if helps you out.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

pctek4456 is becoming a great contributor

are you guys using the new radio and rom 3.35? If not, upgrade immediately.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVOlution
Carrier: Sprint Everything Plus - Fresh Evo 3.1.0.1

Journeyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJourneyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJourneyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJourneyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to Journeyjeans

Do you mean IP Dashboard GhettoBSD? Phone Dashboard is a minutes counter like NueMinutes.

http://www.hudsonmobile.com/products/phodash/index.html

How do you use IP Dashboard to strengthen your signal?

~Jeans

EDIT: Nevermind. I "yahoo'd" it, lol. Phone Dashboard can "Check the current network status and signal strength"

Last edited by Journeyjeans; 04-01-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Q, PPC-6700, PPC-6800, PPC-6900
Carrier: Alltel, and Cricket

midiology is keeping up the good workmidiology is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctek4456 View Post
are you guys using the new radio and rom 3.35? If not, upgrade immediately.
Mine started doing this just about the time that sprint and alltel started upgrading and testing their towers for ev rev a In my area,,, it never did it before,,,
and now it does it no matter what radio I run on my phone... I called alltel and they said its not them,, they wont have rev a in my area till 3rd quarter.. so I called the nice folks over at sprint.. even though im not a customer they were very helpful.. they said that in my case,,, the phone is designed to seek data with the strongest signal and fastest throughput, he said that he was pretty sure they were cycling their rev a in this market, and during those tests my phone would jump from alltel towers to sprint back to alltel, ....

but the thing is,, when im setting at 0 percent signal strength on ev,, I still am able to finish loading pages and whatnot,,,

dont know if this is applicable to others,, depends on what they are doing in your area...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan