PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

bob330 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
how to improve search in contact manager?

Hi,
I am new to Mogul, just got it a month ago.. I have upgraded it to the 3.35 rom and it is much better but I still have issues with having 6000+ contacts (its the company's contacts book) in my contacts manager.... it takes a while to search for anyone in my contacts manager.. If I do the same search (with same amount of contacts) on a Palm OS, it just instantly shows the result. WM6 looks like it would search on anywhere the 'searched' text existed, while palm os just search on the last name(i think; therefore its faster?)...
Any ideas on how to speed up searches of contacts?
also I notice that when I tried to use the 'alphabetical index', it does not work.. I guess at 6k+, it could not create an index?
Not to mention, anytime I reset the device, it would be very slow for the first few (maybe over 5) minutes (almost to a point where the screen does not respond to anything).. This does not happen before I imported the 6000+ contacts... and looks like having this much contacts on the phone takes a nice chunk of ram (free ram of maybe around 10mb).... I guess it tries to load all contacts to the ram when it restarts.. by any chance, anyone have a suggestion on how to speed this up?

Sorry if this issue has already been solved in another thread, perhaps someone could point it to me, because I could not find it while searching...

Thank you in advance
Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
Re: how to improve search in contact manager?

If you don't mind a pay application, check out Finger Friendly Friends. I use it and love it to search.

A mass of tears have transformed to stones now sharpened on suffering and woven into slings...
Old 03-26-2008, 01:54 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff

this may not help you, but just wanted to throw my input in the ring.
i push directly to my company's exchange server to get email calendar and contact info real time. we have over 9K employees in the global address book.. i can do a search and the results come back instantly.. perhaps it's because i am actually sync'd with the server and did not import them all into my local address book ?
when i do search for contacts however, it gives me the option of 'Device Contacts' or 'Company address book'......
FWIW.....
Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

bob330 is a n00b

Thank you both for your inputs...

I am trying Finger friendly friends... its definitely faster but, it takes a few minutes to load my contacts and I wish the keyboard thing can be customized to use the hard keyboard or whatever SIP (because it searches for too much combination and still not as fast as Palm OS).. Is it really the downfall of WM6 not being able to handle this much contacts?

the global address book is good but the problem is when travelling internationally (not often, but it happens) and I do not have access to any data connection, I would not be able to look at the addressbook..
Old 03-27-2008, 01:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob330 View Post
Thank you both for your inputs...

I am trying Finger friendly friends... its definitely faster but, it takes a few minutes to load my contacts and I wish the keyboard thing can be customized to use the hard keyboard or whatever SIP (because it searches for too much combination and still not as fast as Palm OS).. Is it really the downfall of WM6 not being able to handle this much contacts?

the global address book is good but the problem is when travelling internationally (not often, but it happens) and I do not have access to any data connection, I would not be able to look at the addressbook..
The nice thing about FFF is that you don't have to exactly hit the right key, just in the area and it will search based on that (DRMWUT - Doesn't Really Matter Where You Touch). With your amount of contacts, it will take a few seconds to load unfortunately...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan