PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 10:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

kmartburrito is keeping up the good workkmartburrito is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Sprite Terminator - GPS coordinates thru SMS, Wipe/Lock remotely!!!

Hey all,

I'm not usually a person who will just plug random commercial software, but I came across some software that I felt compelled to share with all of you, since we now have GPS, and this could be very useful in the event that you lose your phone, and aid you in having the local authorities get your phone back.

It's called "Sprite Terminator," and it's from the same company who brought you Sprite Backup, which if you haven't used it yet, you should buy it. It's the simplest, most effective backup solution for Windows Mobile I've ever used.

Anyway, on to the meat and potatoes as they say

Sprite Terminator will allow you to do many things with your phone in the case of loss or theft. the program installs, and runs in the background at all times. you can send it an SMS message with a special command, your password you set, and then the action you would like it to perform.

For example, if I send a text message to my phone that looks like this:

spritecmd (password) gps

it will reply to me with a CLICKABLE LINK that takes me to google maps and shows me exactly where my phone is!!!!!

The other options are that you can completely wipe your phone and storage card clean, you can lock your phone so that no calls can be made, you can unlock it, you can change the password, you can get your call log sent to you to see what calls have been made since you lost it, the list goes on...See the bottom of this post for an excerpt straight from the company.

Even better is that it's completely unapparent on my mogul. the program intercepts the SMS so you never see it at all on the phone.

Better yet is that having this installed has not increased my powerdrain (If you know me you know I'm very anal about how much battery power my mogul is using at all times) and it doesn't seem to affect my amount of RAM either, or else it's extremely negligible.

All in all, 15 bucks for this isn't too bad!!

Here's an excerpt of the features from their site, which is located at
http://www.spritesoftware.com/store/...r-HMP-MoreLink

When will Terminator save you?

* Find your lost phone using GPS - See exactly where your phone is and track it.
* Lost or Stolen Phone - Remotely Lock or Wipe it
* Decommissioning a phone for re-cycling or resale - Don't risk leaks or embarassment

Why should I care?
Personal or Corporate Data on Smartphones means you risk your privacy and/or your company’s confidential information. According to the Gartner Group, over 250,000 cell phones and PDAs are lost or stolen at airports every year, and only 25 to 30 percent of them ever make it back to their rightful owners.
Key Features

* Locate your phone using GPS - See exactly where your phone is and track it on via Google Maps, or Virtual Earth.
* Set and Forget – Once configured, Sprite Terminator is unobtrusive and can only be uninstalled with the correct password
* Remote Delete – Send an SMS message to initiate the wipe operation including all external storage cards
* Remote Lock-Down – Send an SMS message to lock all functionality or re-set the device master password
* SIM Change Alert – Receive a notification SMS message if the SIM card has been changed
* Activity Retrieval – Send an SMS message to retrieve call log entries
* Supports all Windows Mobile 5 & 6 Phones

If I've helped you in any post, please take a second to thank me using the icon. Thanks! :P
Old 03-21-2008, 11:01 AM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Sprite Terminator - GPS coordinates thru SMS, Wipe/Lock remotely!!!

Nice find.................
Old 03-21-2008, 11:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Hero

ggoldfingerd is becoming a great contributor

Thanks for the info, seem like it could be very useful. Can this software respond to text messages from email addresses? I currently use VITO FindMe which is free , but will only respond to SMS messages from cell phones.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:46 AM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

Try sending a test command to it, it might.

I got the Sprite Backup Pack that includes Terminator. I love it.

So if its lost I can find it, via GoogleMaps or stolen I can make hell for the
guy/gal who swiped it, sending GPS/lock codes to my phone.

Or Wipe/erase/lock codes for those too far, to recover my investment from.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

kmartburrito is keeping up the good workkmartburrito is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoldfingerd View Post
Thanks for the info, seem like it could be very useful. Can this software respond to text messages from email addresses? I currently use VITO FindMe which is free , but will only respond to SMS messages from cell phones.
Well, as long as the email sends it as a text message, I would think it would be possible. Normally you set up a "trusted phone" like your girlfriend's or best friend's phone, but you can also set it up to allow nontrusted phones. This would be your option I would think. I have mine set up this way so that I can send a text message from sprint.com to my phone if I lose it. If anything, you could send it a lock request until you could get to a phone, but really, in all reality if you set it up to allow nontrusted phones you could borrow anyone's cell phone and have almost an immediate idea of where your phone is
Old 03-21-2008, 11:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, HTC Touch Pro 2

firebrain is just getting started

Since this phone is cdma not gsm does it send you a text message when a new line is activated on it similiar to the way it texts you when the sim is swapped
Old 03-21-2008, 12:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Sifter is keeping up the good workSifter is keeping up the good work

nevermind, got it working.

Last edited by Sifter; 03-21-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrain View Post
Since this phone is cdma not gsm does it send you a text message when a new line is activated on it similiar to the way it texts you when the sim is swapped
I don't think so, but that would definitely be a cool feature. One thing you CAN do is get the IMEI number sent back to you, and then you can ping Sprint that your phone was stolen, they won't allow anyone to add a line to it in that case I don't think. Plus I'd already be in the car with my GPS nav heading to its location
Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Here is a discussion about the gps on the TYTN.

http://www.spritesoftware.com/forum/...pic.php?t=4821
Old 03-21-2008, 01:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoldfingerd View Post
http://www.spritesoftware.com/forum/...pic.php?t=4903

http://www.spritesoftware.com/forum/...pic.php?t=4872

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan