PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Vote for Best GPS Software (more complete poll) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21395)

No1ustad 03-15-2008 02:57 PM

Vote for Best GPS Software (more complete poll)

Wandering around the site, I notices some threads about best gps software, and a poll comparing tomtom (about $200) to msl and google maps. kinda unfair, so i figured a more complete poll might be necessary. here it is and i hope it helps me along with others!

below: please feel free to explain why you chose one over the other... quality-wise, not price-wise:smile:

edit: maybe a poll like this would be a good addition to the official gps thread sticky?

jbbosu 03-15-2008 04:22 PM

Re: Vote for Best GPS Software (more complete poll)

Google and Live search do exactly what their supposed to do; now with the new radio, they detect GPS instantly.

I like iGuidance but I don't know how well it functions with this new ROM.

rangie 03-15-2008 04:25 PM

iGuidancee requires GPS Gate and astrogps launcher to work wit the internal GPS.

mdcnman6 03-15-2008 04:33 PM

google and live search are very nice to have...but..as far as true navigation i like telenav..simply because of the redirection if u make a wrong turn or miss ur exit..oh and the voice prompts

No1ustad 03-15-2008 04:40 PM

True. i think redirection is key. along with routing based on traffic congestion. I hate running into unexpected traffic and having to sit through it when there has to be another route.. For this i chose tom tom.

No1ustad 03-15-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawman08 (Post 219306)
yeh i think google and livesearch should have been left off theyre not true gps programs per say.

id say igo/miomaps but the mogul can barely run it sometimes with the low RAM.

True, but i kept them on because ppl do use them for their gps, and i allowed multiple checking too for that reason. Though the main goal is to just figure out what this community considers the best gps program.

SDODOM 03-15-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdcnman6 (Post 219296)
google and live search are very nice to have...but..as far as true navigation i like telenav..simply because of the redirection if u make a wrong turn or miss ur exit..oh and the voice prompts

I like TeleNav, also. It is the bomb. I am very infactuated by this new addition to my Mogul. However, there was an address that I was looking to get to, and TeleNav stated that it couldn't be found. I was able to find it on both Google Maps and Mapquest. TeleNav may need to update their info.

phazed 03-15-2008 07:45 PM

I would have to go with iGuidance.. it's maps are very complete and the interface is pretty good. The only downside to it is the BS workarounds that have to be done in order for it to work. Using a BT GPS it works great!

TomTom is good software. The Interface is wonderful and it's customizable wich is a plus... but for me it's no good. A great interface can't make up for crappy maps. I live in Richmond, VA.. it's a big city.. with millions of people.. and somehow TomTom doesn't seem to think it is important to have a remotely working map for my area.

The problem with Google maps and MS Live is the fact that they ARE internet oriented. Believe me, the last thing you want is to be driving down the road 4 states away from home.. and there is no data service. So much for GPS.

phaZed

Genjinaro 03-15-2008 08:21 PM

Google maps, whilst walking, bus, trolley & train. Wins it for me, the icon's small size picked & tracked my exact location with pinpoint accuracy. Scary.

I do live WLS but the tracking icon needs to be smaller & it didn't catch as many addresses as Google Maps did, though it narrows down popular locations better than Google & it can be activated by voice.

IMHO I'd never use the Mogul for driving, screen is far to small for my tastes so I would never pay for a professional commercial service through it.
I think a dedicated GPS with a larger screen is more appropriate while driving, less time needed to make out the screen this way.

sprintmogulfan 03-15-2008 08:38 PM

Re: IGuidancee requires GPS Gate and astrogps launcher to work wit the internal GPS.

What are the workarounds to get IGuidance to work? I dont know what an astrogps launcher or GPS Gate is. I would really like to get my Iguidance 4.0 working with the 3.35 Rom instead of having to buy the Sprint Nav (lose internet signal in remote area = lose GPS maps).

Thanks!