PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: The Pro 2.0
Carrier: Sprint

Ovendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Great idea..Maybe...How well would this work?

I would love to get some feedback on this.......

We all know the Mogul is limited in program memory, and personally, I don't like to ask it to do more than absolutely necessary because I want it to run smoothly. Also, anyone that's used the 3.16 ROM has noticed that more program memory is allocated to the OS.

To quote someone here...I hard reset like a *****, and I keep a backup of all of the folders in "My documents" on my storage card and I copy/paste them back after the hard reset.

So, I was thinking that I could potentially install every game, application, program, utility, etc. that I want and then copy all of the installed program files to my card...then hard reset. I use SPB PocketPlus to launch all of my programs from the today screen. I could copy the backup of the installed files onto the device and link the exe. files using SPB PP. Essentially, I could have all my games, utilities, and programs on my device, launched from the today screen, without having any of them "installed".

I realize that some applications will actually need to be installed (i.e. SPB PP. SPB MS, along with a few others)

I guess the question I have is, why wouldn't this work?

Just an example of some apps that I have & use that I think could be used and launched from the today screen w/o being installed:

Memmaid
Google Maps
Pencil Box
MobiTV
MusicID
PHM Regedit
SiriusWM5
XM Radio
vTAP
UITweaker
Triangle Powers Hacks
Oxios
OnDemand
HTC Customizer
SKTools
Resco Explorer
All of the Media players (Except TCPMP w/flash bundle)
Not to mention all the games that I have, which is about 20 or so.
ETC.
ETC....

Again, I know some apps will have to be installed, but there are more than shouldn't have to be installed. I'm also aware that I could install to the storage card but the amount of apps that I launch from the today screen makes the device so slow that it is unusable.

I just want what everyone wants...to install as much as I can without sacrificing performance.

Thanks for you feedback!

Last edited by Ovendoor; 03-08-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

phazed is just getting started
Re: Great idea..Maybe...How well would this work?

Some programs may need to place supporting files (DLL's, Config Files) on your device in order to run. It really depends on how the program was written which will determine if this is the case (SPB is one like you said).

Some programs will need to place registry entries/edits.. and by Hard resetting you will lose these... Some entries are not so important (path to saved files for example).. and some are more important. Depends on the program.

And some programs were not written so well... the developer didn't think/know how/or care to implement the ability to reside solely on the storage card.

Only way to find out is to try I think your Idea could work with a number of programs (Warfare Inc will work after a hard reset solely on the card). But there will be a number that will not work.

phaZed
Old 03-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: The Pro 2.0
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Ovendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuff
Re: Great idea..Maybe...How well would this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazed View Post
Some programs may need to place supporting files (DLL's, Config Files) on your device in order to run. It really depends on how the program was written which will determine if this is the case (SPB is one like you said).

Some programs will need to place registry entries/edits.. and by Hard resetting you will lose these... Some entries are not so important (path to saved files for example).. and some are more important. Depends on the program.

And some programs were not written so well... the developer didn't think/know how/or care to implement the ability to reside solely on the storage card.

Only way to find out is to try I think your Idea could work with a number of programs (Warfare Inc will work after a hard reset solely on the card). But there will be a number that will not work.

phaZed
I appreciate the response.

The possibility of the the new ROM update being released is bittersweet, because I'm not going to try this with a new ROM...I want to see the OEM performance. But....I really believe this would be a great way to boost speed and reduce lag.

I would basically be copying the program files folder from my device to the storage card and back again after a hard reset so some of the programs that include DLLs and configuration files would be complete.

I will be sure to revive this thread after the novelty of the new ROM update wears off to report my findings.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan