PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Sprint

phatsacks is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint - PDANet + WMWifirouter + other?

Searched the forums for most threads relating to "tethering", and found a specific registry hack to delete that was posted by luv2chill.

I'm using NexVision's ROM which is based off someone else's I believe. I went to delete the registry file and it was not there, so I'm hoping that I'm looking in the right place, and this means it was already done for the user of the ROM.

To be safe, I snagged PDANet. However, it looks like it only filters for usb and bluetooth connections, which is not so handy when wanting to use WMWifirouter.

Does anyone know, if PDANet works regardless of usb/bluetooth (which are the only two PC connection settings within the program)?

I'm dieing to walk around with a hot spot in my pocket (Hot Pocket!), but am not dieing to get reamed with a huge bill from Sprint.

I really did try to do my research, it looks like I have the only needed registry setting gone, but since it wasn't there when I looked, I wanted to be safe with PDANet, but low and behold, it "appears" PDANet does not filter for ad-hoc connections.

Any clarifications/help/support/flaming is appreciated!

(okay not that last one, but still~)
Old 03-06-2008, 11:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Sprint - PDANet + WMWifirouter + other?

I believe the reg key in question is already removed from most custom ROMs. So if it is not there, don't worry about it. I think (could be wrong) that that particular hack was more related to avoiding error 67 when tethering via ICS when you don't already have a data connection running.

I remember being worried about an outrageous bill when I first start tethering, which was years ago now. I've never once received a bill with extra data charges. Don't use it as your primary internet connection, but if you're not stupid about it I wouldn't worry. These days I probably use a couple of gigs a month streaming music/video in my car and around town.

PDANet will not work over WiFi, but you don't need PDANet, USBModem, or any other dial up modem software. They don't hide anything from anyone. I'm not sure why some people believe that they do. Maybe just a security blanket kind of thing. Use the built-in Internet Sharing for USB and BT tethering. WMWiFiRouter (which relies on Internet Sharing/ICS) is great for WiFi access.

Just remember, keep your data use reasonable (don't do all your P2P traffic over it) and you'll be OK. Have fun!
Old 03-06-2008, 01:59 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: treo pro
Carrier: sprint

jtnet is a n00b

where is the registry setting location to change , i use wmwifirouter and dont want to get snagged
Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Vogue
Threadstarter

phatsacks is a n00b

Thanks bedoig!

jtnet (see below):

From what was just posted above your post:

You do not need to remove the registry setting unless you are getting an "error 67" message.

Just use the normal ICS.

Last edited by phatsacks; 03-06-2008 at 10:47 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan