PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

sHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WMWifiRouter - Need help

Ok, this program is like, the coolest thing I have ever seen. I want it to work more than anything. I would have bought this phone just for this.

Only 1 problem, cant get it to work....

I run the program, click connect, and it sets up the ad-hoc network. I have full signal strength when it becomes visible on my wireless network connection manager in windows on my laptop. So I can see the network (called WMWifiRouter) but yet I just cannot connect to it from my computer. Any ideas?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Rally1 is a n00b
Re: WMWifiRouter - Need help

I just set mine up and it works fine.
You will need to do some troubleshooting, first check if it is PC related, ie try another laptop if you have access to one. Start eliminating possible causes.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

sHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Well, oddly the $4000 Dell m90 picks up the wifi network (which is the original computer i was testing with), but the brand new out of the box Dell D830 cant pick up the network at all. I even have my phone sitting on top of the keyboard! Hmm...interesting.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Rally1 is a n00b

KB0802015: Computer will not connect to WMWifiRouter

It is sometimes tricky to connect your computer to the mobile device running WMWifiRouter - especially when you have just changed your network settings. Windows XP is especially problematic in this.

It is important to note that many operating systems cache wireless network information even if you have removed them or refreshed the settings.

If your computer cannot find the wireless network, or can not connect to it, the advised procedure is:

* Quit WMWifiRouter
* Restart mobile device
* Remove any wifi networks related to WMWifiRouter from your computer. On Windows XP, this can be done by going to "View Available Wireless Networks", "Change the order of preferred networks", selecting the network name in the new window and pressing remove.
* Disable and re-enable wifi on your computer ("Repair" under Windows XP)
* Start WMWifiRouter and "Connect"
* Searching for the network on your computer - you may have to refresh several times for the network to be found, and you may have to disconnect / reconnect or quit / restart WMWifiRouter a few times.

After you have successfully bonded the computer with WMWifiRouter once, it usually keeps working without needing the above procedure unless you reinstall the software or change network settings. With the latter, the computer will often use the old settings even though you have told it to use different settings.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally1 View Post
KB0802015: Computer will not connect to WMWifiRouter

It is sometimes tricky to connect your computer to the mobile device running WMWifiRouter - especially when you have just changed your network settings. Windows XP is especially problematic in this.

It is important to note that many operating systems cache wireless network information even if you have removed them or refreshed the settings.

If your computer cannot find the wireless network, or can not connect to it, the advised procedure is:

* Quit WMWifiRouter
* Restart mobile device
* Remove any wifi networks related to WMWifiRouter from your computer. On Windows XP, this can be done by going to "View Available Wireless Networks", "Change the order of preferred networks", selecting the network name in the new window and pressing remove.
* Disable and re-enable wifi on your computer ("Repair" under Windows XP)
* Start WMWifiRouter and "Connect"
* Searching for the network on your computer - you may have to refresh several times for the network to be found, and you may have to disconnect / reconnect or quit / restart WMWifiRouter a few times.

After you have successfully bonded the computer with WMWifiRouter once, it usually keeps working without needing the above procedure unless you reinstall the software or change network settings. With the latter, the computer will often use the old settings even though you have told it to use different settings.
Still no dice Followed directions to the T. I am an IT technician, so I know I didn't screw up either.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

eehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

That is odd. I have had some trouble getting connected in the past and I just blew out the SID that it created and created my own from scratch and it started working again. You might try doing that.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Ok, I got it working with 1 of my computers here. THANK GOD. So I know it works. I just gotta get it to snuggle up to my m90, cause thats what I need it to run on. Thanks!

Edit: Anyone tried to play a game like World of Warcraft through this? Poker? Anything? This thing is about to be my full time workaround for unfiltered internet access here at work (stupid firewall)
Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800

MrHappy is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to MrHappy Send a message via Yahoo to MrHappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sHockz View Post
Ok, I got it working with 1 of my computers here. THANK GOD. So I know it works. I just gotta get it to snuggle up to my m90, cause thats what I need it to run on. Thanks!

Edit: Anyone tried to play a game like World of Warcraft through this? Poker? Anything? This thing is about to be my full time workaround for unfiltered internet access here at work (stupid firewall)
I have played GuildWars many an evening when I am in a hotel with no or crappy internet and this works great!
Old 02-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
I have played GuildWars many an evening when I am in a hotel with no or crappy internet and this works great!
Ohhhhhhh man!! It is so on! I got it working with every computer in the office now!!! hahaha. Lan tourney! jk....

Edit: Oh my god im so happy I think I am gonna cry. Streaming radio is back....youtube is back, digg...myspace, the INTERNET! YAY!

Last edited by sHockz; 02-28-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

arcanecho is a n00b

I play Team Fortress 2 using WMWifi and it works perfect. Better than my home network. =P

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan