PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 06:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OK, I'm a geek

Let's face it, I can only be on PPCGeeks so many hours every day. I could miss that all important announcement that the Rev A/GPS update is now available.

In the interest of being informed the moment the Mogul update becomes available I've registered with a service that scans the web looking for changes in specified websites (in this case the HTC software download site for the Mogul). This kind of idea is probably not new to many of you, but I've never had a reason to even think about a service like this before.

So yes, I'm completely addicted to my phone. Let the interventions begin.

And in case anyone is interested in the particular site I'm using:
http://www.feedwhip.com/
Old 01-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

papped is a n00b
So basically you're going to get spammed with false reva/gps update posts that don't provide anything new.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:09 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep
I'm not monitoring this or any other forum. I'm monitoring the HTC Software Update page:

http://www.america.htc.com/support/m...dDeviceId=8997
Old 01-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker

papped is a n00b
Seems hard to monitor, considering they mention rev-a and gps even if its not included in the current rom.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:20 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

It is just monitoring for any change. Not specific key words. The site hasn't been updated in at least 2 weeks (probably not since the original announcement on Nov. 29). So it's not like I'll be getting a flood of emails...
Old 01-22-2008, 06:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TardoPro
Carrier: Boost

yakky is a n00b
that is kind of cool, lets you create RSS for webpages that don't support it like many forums.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: The Pro 2.0

Ovendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuff
Interesting find..however, I'm not sure how applicable this would be for anything else.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:21 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
And as a webmaster, I'd be banning that bot as soon as I detected its footprint in my logs Unless bandwidth is free, repeatedly hammering a page to check for diffs is pretty useless.

Just check back in march to see if they've finally released the Late January update...
Old 01-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker

papped is a n00b
Not to mention the time between when the update goes up and it's posted here would at max be a few hours...
Old 01-22-2008, 07:31 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
And as a webmaster, I'd be banning that bot as soon as I detected its footprint in my logs Unless bandwidth is free, repeatedly hammering a page to check for diffs is pretty useless.

Just check back in march to see if they've finally released the Late January update...
Well, I don't think it checks the site that often. I assumed it was more like the way a search engine crawls the web. I know its not really that useful. I can just check the site myself every day if I wanted to. The thought just came to me, and I was kinda bored at work. Man, cynical crowd : )

Last edited by bedoig; 01-22-2008 at 07:34 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan