PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 05:43 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Nuar is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Text message character length

Hey guys,
I just upgraded to the xv6800 ppc and while i love the phone, I am REALLY REAAAAAALY annoyed at the stupid character limit on the text messages.
I use texting a lot and being limited on a friggin pocket COMPUTER is ridiculus.
I had the verizon "V" phone up untill now, and with that phone I could type up a whole god damn novel and send it out as one single text to my girlfriend and since she has the V as well, she received it no problem.
I get this phone and not only my messages get split into multiple texts (RETARDED) when she tried to send me a long text, i only got the first 160 chars or so and the rest was just deleted. No split into multiple texts, just gone.

I really hope there is a fix to this damn feature, if not this stupid "pocketPC" is as good as gone.

ANY help or info would be REALLY appreciated! I looked everywhere and all i found was "texts are limited by the network and not the phone" which is obviously not true since the same network let me send LOOOONG texts with a different phone...
Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker

slvrap1 is becoming a great contributor
On mine when i go over 160 characters it will send multiple texts, i dont think anyone has a program that will increase the character limit
Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 AM
mmmm Freebirds
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (X2)
Carrier: Sprint

Darkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIP
If you use the Palm Threaded SMS. app it will let you type as much as you want. It will just send out multiple messages.

Good things don't end in 'eum,' they end in 'mania'...or 'teria'
Easily switch between TouchFlo and Mobile Shell
If you like my work feel free to

Last edited by Darkness231; 01-09-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Let me count thy wounds
Pocket PC: Photon 4G

blasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Yahoo to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Skype™ to blasphemous_prime
yes, and you forgot to say it's on an instant messaging interface. that's how great it is.
If you are literally serving shit to American children, or knowingly spinning a wheel where it is not unlikely that you will eventually serve shit – if that’s your business model? Then I got no problems with a jury of your peers wiring your nuts to a car battery and feeding you the accumulated sweepings from the bottom of a monkey cage. In fact, I’ll hold the spoon.” -Ralph Dunlop-
Old 01-09-2008, 11:08 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100
i second the palm messaging app..easily one of the best programs out there!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6800 (Sprint Mogul)

bakntyme is keeping up the good workbakntyme is keeping up the good work
Devices using the SMS standard are limited to 160 characters maximum per message. Your previous phone may have used something other than the SMS standard, or may have had some application extension that "stitched" multiple SMS messages together, but that is NOT standard. The standard text messaging applications will let you type a message exceeding the 160 character maximum, and then break that up and send multiple messages of no more than 160 characters each that may or may not be received in the correct order. If text messaging is the most important thing to you, return your 6800 for a refund and go back to using your "V" phone. Either way, we would appreciate you cleaning up your language.

Quote:
As suggested by the name "Short Message Service", the data that can be held by an SMS message is very limited. One SMS message can contain at most 140 bytes (1120 bits) of data, so one SMS message can contain up to:
  • 160 characters if 7-bit character encoding is used. (7-bit character encoding is suitable for encoding Latin characters like English alphabets.)
  • 70 characters if 16-bit Unicode UCS2 character encoding is used. (SMS text messages containing non-Latin characters like Chinese characters should use 16-bit character encoding.)
Old 01-09-2008, 03:01 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Nuar is a n00b
Thanks for all the responces guys!

bakntyme,
thank you for the response and i appologize for the language... I'm just really frustrated!
I spent a lot of money on this phone and like I said I love everything about it, except for the texting. I am especially heated, because the salesperson at the verizon store told me the phone will be able to send larger texts without a problem, I made sure to ask about it before I purchased this thing.
Well since its standard to have a 160 character limit on the SMS service, does that mean that the phone itself is limited, or is this potentially avoidable with a different widows mobile 6 application?

While I realize that this might seem like a silly issue to have with the phone, please try to understand that for the past 2 years i had no limit and I got use to it, so now being limited is really annoying lol. I could get past it since I can type as long as I want and it will split it, but others that are use to sending me long texts are whining and complaining even more then me :P
Old 01-09-2008, 05:01 PM
to0
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Carrier: Cricket

to0 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to to0
You aren't going to find any relief to this problem, programs or otherwise, except going back to your old phone model that is using something other than the SMS standard.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Nuar is a n00b
Thanks for all the help guys and once again sory about the rude language in the first post...I guess ill just have to enjoy all the other awesome features of this phone... It is going to be tough to get use to the character limit, but ohh well.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Hero

manthony6567 is a n00b
that is true i have the sprint mogul and it does the same only in certain fones will i recieve the text message split if exceeds 160 like another ppc fone or if not a sidekick but i use to have a crappy i880 nd it never stoped me 4rm writing what i want like yu sed i could of wrote a novel on it and they would get it completly ma gurl has a chocalate she writes alot but most of the message jus gets delted i just get part of it (not happy)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan