PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 05:16 PM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!
Carrier: Sprint

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207
Sling Link or another Router????

As some of you know, I have had a Sling Box for about 4months and I have not hooked it up yet. But I was looking at the setup on the Slingmedia website and it says I need a Sling Ling if my Router is not close to my computer. My router is on the 3rd floor of my house connected to the main household PC. My laptop and the cable box I intend to use are in the basement.

So which is the better way to go: Sling Link or Just get another router?

Old 12-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Super Delux Windoz9 6800+
Carrier: SARS, Avian Flu, Scabies

canospinach is keeping up the good workcanospinach is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to canospinach
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun0207 View Post
As some of you know, I have had a Sling Box for about 4months and I have not hooked it up yet. But I was looking at the setup on the Slingmedia website and it says I need a Sling Ling if my Router is not close to my computer. My router is on the 3rd floor of my house connected to the main household PC. My laptop and the cable box I intend to use are in the basement.

So which is the better way to go: Sling Link or Just get another router?
If you look at how SlingLink works they want you to port the data via the AC wall plug. This would really be your last choice as AC has quite a bit of 60hz noise in it which has a huge impact on signal quality (this is one of the reasons why AC networking has never taken off, not to mention signal loss issues due to AC noise over distance).

It was designed for the complete novice with the aim being ease of install.

If you have the option to add a router, that would be your best choice as you can maintain as clean as possible bandwidth.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

sheureka is just getting started
I've had a Slinglink since they first came out - my Tivo and Slingbox were really, really picky with wireless bridges. I haven't had any problems at all with the Slinglink. In fact, I just added another Slingbox and a DirecTV HD DVR and got another Slinglink. And I don't see any degradation in quality at all. - sheureka
Old 12-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheureka View Post
I've had a Slinglink since they first came out - my Tivo and Slingbox were really, really picky with wireless bridges. I haven't had any problems at all with the Slinglink. In fact, I just added another Slingbox and a DirecTV HD DVR and got another Slinglink. And I don't see any degradation in quality at all. - sheureka
The "pickyness" in regards to WIFI has to do with the chipsets originally being utilized. If you were to try again with newer equipment you may have better luck as the chipsets are far more standardized now.

Slinglink is definately an easier setup than adding it directly to the network.

If you like your setup now, imagine how incredible it would be when you actually clean up the signal by taking it off the dirty AC line
Old 12-21-2007, 07:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

sheureka is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by canospinach View Post
The "pickyness" in regards to WIFI has to do with the chipsets originally being utilized. If you were to try again with newer equipment you may have better luck as the chipsets are far more standardized now.

Slinglink is definately an easier setup than adding it directly to the network.

If you like your setup now, imagine how incredible it would be when you actually clean up the signal by taking it off the dirty AC line
Try again with newer equipment? You have no idea what equipment I have. And there are very few adapters that will work with Tivo - I've tried them all - and I know I get a better (and certainly more reliable) signal with the Slinglink. - sheureka
Old 12-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheureka View Post
I've had a Slinglink since they first came out - my Tivo and Slingbox were really, really picky with wireless bridges.
Your statement appears as though you are referring to 1st generation equipment.

That is where i get my idea of what equipment you have.

Quote:
And there are very few adapters that will work with Tivo - I've tried them all
True there are very few Tivo Approved adaptors, you do realize that most all the adapters use chipsets manufactured by one of only a few companies, Tivo itself is a linux core, certain adaptors which are completely native to linux will work and are not on the Tivo approved list.

So are you absolutely sure you tried "them all"
Old 12-24-2007, 12:22 AM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!
Threadstarter

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm gonna try the router
Old 12-24-2007, 01:43 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

digiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
If you look at how SlingLink works they want you to port the data via the AC wall plug. This would really be your last choice as AC has quite a bit of 60hz noise in it which has a huge impact on signal quality (this is one of the reasons why AC networking has never taken off, not to mention signal loss issues due to AC noise over distance).

It was designed for the complete novice with the aim being ease of install.

If you have the option to add a router, that would be your best choice as you can maintain as clean as possible bandwidth.
Add another router? Huh? You only need one per internet connection. Not to mention if you add another you'll be double NAT'd.

Slinglinks work great just like other homeplug devices.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
Add another router? Huh? You only need one per internet connection. Not to mention if you add another you'll be double NAT'd.

Slinglinks work great just like other homeplug devices.
Allow me to help clear your confusion.

When you set up a more complex network using Routers as "Switches" you are not double NAT as the gateway unit is normally your DHCP server. One unit is configured as a gateway, the other simply as a switch.

Only need one eh? Sure if you have an ultra simple network that may be the case. Anything slightly more complicated may require more than one. Since the OP mentioned using a router we can only go with the idea he clearly has a different need than you do.

Personally i have a server as a gateway (SOHO quality firewall), 2 wireless switches (1 b/g at 2.4ghz, 1 N at 5ghz, as well as an 8port gigabit switch (15 hardwired, 4 wireless devices). The way my network is configured i could not do it with one device (when we lan party i break out the 24 port switch).

Like i mentioned before, depending on your personal expectations and standards Sling itself as well as the AC connection may be fine, and thats ok.

It simply is not up to snuff more my tastes, i have different expectations.

Last edited by canospinach; 12-25-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

digiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Allow me to help clear your confusion.

When you set up a more complex network using Routers as "Switches" you are not double NAT as the gateway unit is normally your DHCP server (and NAT if thats your level of protection). One unit is configured as a gateway, the other simply as a switch.

Only need one eh? Sure if you have an ultra simple network that may be the case. Anything slightly more complicated may require more than one. Since the OP mentioned using a router we can only go with the idea he clearly has a different need than you do.

Personally i have a server as a gateway (SOHO quality firewall), 2 wireless switches (1 b/g at 2.4ghz, 1 N at 5ghz, as well as an 8port gigabit switch (15 hardwired, 4 wireless devices). The way my network is configured i could not do it with one device (when we lan party i break out the 24 port switch).

Like i mentioned before, depending on your personal expectations and standards Sling itself as well as the AC connection may be fine, and thats ok.

It simply is not up to snuff more my tastes, i have different expectations.
I see you know nothing about networking.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan