PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: mogul

kobejim2 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Using mogul as modem for laptop?

I have heard that using my Mogul to allow my laptop to connect to the interent is possible???.. nit sure..I have been searching but cant find anyplace or anyone that can give me a straight answer .. if anyone know if this can be done without the data plan please let me know.. maybe a previous post or link that may give me some instructions??.. thank for any help.

Kobejim
Old 12-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

justpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on rep
mogul as modem

It can be used as a modem, but they "want" you to have the special "phone as modem" plan they have now. I used my old PPC 6700 as a modem for my Acer laptop for 2 years with just the $15 a month Vision plan I had then. Now, i upgrade to a Mogul and that cant be done anymore. They catch on real quick too...I only used my Mogul that way for about 1/2 hr before they shut me down. They have 2 different phone as modem plans; one is $39.95 month for up to 40MB transfer I believe, the other is $49.95 month for unlimited transfer. As far as running the program, its easy. On my 6700, I had to install a dialer program to dial in with; on the 6800 its just open the Internet Sharing program, pick either USB or Bluetooth (I used USB with data cable) for the PC Connection, then select Phone as Modem for the Network Connection and click connect. Mine hooked up real quick and as usual had a smoking fast connection. Hope this answers your question!

Last edited by justpctech; 12-09-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:25 PM
N00b

Coronach is a n00b
PDANet

It costs money (one time cost of $30, I think) but allows you unlimited tethering using the $15 data plan. Simple to use- plug phone in and activesync, then click the PDANet icon in the system tray and you're connected. The only problem I've ever had is that sometimes the connection gets lost and you have to hit the Connect button again.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC 6800 (Mogul), EVO 4G

Goddbody is a VIPGoddbody is a VIPGoddbody is a VIPGoddbody is a VIPGoddbody is a VIPGoddbody is a VIPGoddbody is a VIPGoddbody is a VIPGoddbody is a VIPGoddbody is a VIPGoddbody is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to Goddbody Send a message via Yahoo to Goddbody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronach View Post
PDANet

It costs money (one time cost of $30, I think) but allows you unlimited tethering using the $15 data plan. Simple to use- plug phone in and activesync, then click the PDANet icon in the system tray and you're connected. The only problem I've ever had is that sometimes the connection gets lost and you have to hit the Connect button again.
This person is correct the unlimited data service is included in all powervision packages. You basicly need to download PDANET and simply click on the Icon and choose connect on either your Laptop or Mogul, and your connected just that simple worth the $34 dollars for PDANET
Old 12-09-2007, 05:43 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

trev913 is a n00b
They haven't caught onto my use of a phone as modem yet... and I'm just using the internet sharing app...
Old 12-09-2007, 05:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

sheureka is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobejim2 View Post
I have heard that using my Mogul to allow my laptop to connect to the interent ... if anyone know if this can be done without the data plan please let me know ...
How did you all miss that? You can't connect without the data plan - well, maybe if you want to pay some totally outrageous, ridiculous price per kb. Sorry - sheureka
Old 12-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Krayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Krayziepop Send a message via MSN to Krayziepop Send a message via Yahoo to Krayziepop
Perhaps what the OP is asking about is about using the phone as a dial up modem in general? AKA, this person may have AOL Broadband at home (God rest your poor soul if you do), and be able to use dial up access anywhere as a part of the access plan. Thus, if a phone line isn't available where this person is at, they would simply plug the Mogul into the computer and dial in through it. Que?

I could be completely wrong here, but that is what I got from the original question.

***edit***

I did just re-read it again, and I suppose it does sort of look like he is asking if he can get "Something for nothing". $15 a month for an unlimited data plan isn't bad, and you can tether with it that way. Fact of the matter is - if you pull from the Sprint data network, they WILL know it.

Last edited by Krayziepop; 12-09-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Galaxy S2 Skyrocket!!
Carrier: AT&T

hotbyz168 is becoming a great contributor
All i had to do was delete a reg edit in hklm\comm\internet sharing
There should be one file underneath the settings folder. All you have to do is delete it and your phone will connect w/o having that annoying error67 code. Got that info from xda. Its in there forums somewhere on the exact name of the file
Old 12-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

justpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on repjustpctech is halfway to VIP status based on rep
ya i was wondering if there was something like that that could be done. i was getting that exact error, the error 67 code. will try that, and the PDANET is some good information too! thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700>6800

mbartels is just getting started
Ouch. I didn't realize you couldn't tether for free with the 6800. I have a 6700 and have been pricing the 6800 on Ebay. Maybe I should just stay put or check into PDAnet.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan