PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker

psywzrd is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
why is my phone frozen every morning?

I keep my Mogul on the charger at night and every morning when I wake up, my screen is on (backlight off), there are areas that look kind of scrambled or pixelated, and the phone is frozen. I originally thought that it only happened when I received an email or text message during the night but it happened again this morning and I hadn't received any new messages.

Has anyone else experienced this? If not, any clue what could be causing this annoying issue?

Last edited by psywzrd; 10-27-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:04 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
I keep my Mogul on the charger at night and every morning when wake up, my screen is on (backlight off), there are areas that look kind of scrambled or pixelated, and the phone is frozen. I originally thought that it only happened when I received an email or text message during the night but it happened again this morning and I hadn't received any new messages.

Has anyone else experienced this? If not, any clue what could be causing this annoying issue?
What ROM are you using? New ROM might explain lockups.

Screen issue sounds like perhaps a hardware problem. Have you tried a hard-reset?
Old 10-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PRE & Touch PRO2, but now Evo
Carrier: Sprint

dutchman71 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardutchman71 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardutchman71 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
I had this problem when I used my wife's Dash charger. Might be the charger...
Old 10-27-2007, 12:36 PM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Because you hog the blanket you selfish bastard! JK - sorry I read the title and couldn't resist.

Last edited by boe; 10-27-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

psywzrd is a n00b
It's definitely not the ROM because I had the same problem even before I upgraded to the crappy new ROM. Also, the charger I use is the one that came with the phone so it's not like it's an aftermarket charger or anything. I could try charging it overnight via USB to see if that makes a difference I guess.

A hard reset might help but it's not like I'm going to do a hard reset and reinstall everything from scratch again after I just did that to upgrade to the new ROM (not to mention that I know I'll have to do that again when/if another new ROM comes out).
Old 10-27-2007, 04:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

phazed is just getting started
Perhaps there is a memory leak from a TSR(Terminate and Stay Resident) program on your phone. Have you tried using a Task Manager (eg. Magic Button, HTC X Button) to close out everything before you go to bed? That should rule out memory hogs. If that doesn't work I would turn off all Radios.. phone, bluetooth, Wifi.. everything. See if that helps. Do one thing at a time each night to narrow down the culprit. Also... you may want to call sprint *2 to see if you need a PRL (Preferred Roaming List) update. That is a list of the most current cell towers and can help in certain cases.

phaZed
Old 10-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

psywzrd is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by phazed View Post
Perhaps there is a memory leak from a TSR(Terminate and Stay Resident) program on your phone. Have you tried using a Task Manager (eg. Magic Button, HTC X Button) to close out everything before you go to bed? That should rule out memory hogs. If that doesn't work I would turn off all Radios.. phone, bluetooth, Wifi.. everything. See if that helps. Do one thing at a time each night to narrow down the culprit. Also... you may want to call sprint *2 to see if you need a PRL (Preferred Roaming List) update. That is a list of the most current cell towers and can help in certain cases.

phaZed
I do use X-Button and I usually leave ActiveSync, Outlook email and the threaded SMS app running in the background overnight (I also run Oxios Hibernate very frequently to reclaim memory and I've pretty much given up using Bluetooth since I upgraded to the crappy new ROM). I guess I could try closing out both Outlook and SMS before I charge the phone overnight but the SMS program is going to start up on its own anyway since it always does (it's like the phone should be running low on memory with those three progs running).

As far as turning off the phone's radio, even if that was the culprit it's not like I'm going to turn my phone off every night. What would be the point? I need to have my phone working at all times. And I do have the most updated PRL and I'm also in an EVDO-covered area so this is definitely not roaming-related.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

vMAC is a n00b
Do you happen to have SPB Backup installed? I had the exact same problem but the time on my phone would always say 3:04 and then I realized that I had my backup scheduled every night at 3:00 so when I uninstalled SP and then reinstalled and changed some of the options it doesn't do that anymore.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

psywzrd is a n00b
Nope. I do have Sprite installed but I don't do scheduled backups.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Titan

AncientPC is a n00b
I ran into this problem and just uninstalled all programs on my phone and no more problems! Of course, this isn't a viable solution so I started adding a few programs a day and leaving the phone idle overnight.

Right now I'm pretty sure what's causing my phone to show a garbled screen is Batti, but I want to wait a few days more to confirm.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan