PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > HTC Kaiser

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 07:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

gregpilot is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tethering on ATT

greetings, everyone. I have been really happy with my Apache, tweaked of course. But it may be time to switch to a GSM carrier. I'm on verizon, and it seems in my local area the service seems overloaded, a lot of dropped calls, etc. Anyhow, I'm pretty familar with tethering issues with Verizon and the software needed to make it work...I am not trying to "steal" data, I cough up $$ for a plan. Using Wmodem, ICS, etc to do the tethering. I was wondering how these apps worked with ATT's network. It seems all the carriers are trying to push "laptop connect" cards and the like as a separate service plan but I feel that if I am paying for unlimited data it should not matter if the requests are coming from my phone or if my phone is merely a modem for my laptop. I'm using the network access I pay for in either case. I am not going to make the change if I can't tether without paying for two service plans. Anyone here have experience tethering on a WM 6.1 device on GSM????
Old 08-20-2008, 07:49 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Tethering on ATT

I just switched from Sprint (PPC-6700) to AT&T (Tilt). I haven't tried tethering yet because I have been busy learning about ROM flashing (only got my Tilt activated the other day)...

Now that I have WM6.1 running, I am just now getting into tethering. And I agree with you- I'm paying for data, what I do with that data is my business.

I can't imagine tethering would be much different on any of the carriers.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ATT Tilt
Carrier: ATT

dougrb is a n00b

I'm with you guys. Got my Tilt 2 weeks ago, and am busy tweaking and modding, but would really like to utilize the tethering option. I also pay for an unlimited data plan for both my wife and I, and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend yet another $60 on top of it all just for the "right" to consume the same amount of data, as I would just using my phone to read email and such.

Question though, is it necessary to buy hardware in order to tether ? I know it can be done via Bluetooth (which I can't seem to get working with my Macbook Pro and Tilt) but I'd rather have a better connection than that. If you guys get it going, I'd really like to know what you did. And should I get it going, I'll share my experience.

doug
Old 08-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone 6+
Carrier: AT&T

JackSchitt28 is keeping up the good workJackSchitt28 is keeping up the good work

i used the wmwifirouter program when i had my tilt. it basically made my tilt a wireless hotspot and at&t never once complained to me about my data usage. it does eat up alot of battery but you can get a couple hours out of it for web surfing via PC.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Let me count thy wounds
Pocket PC: Photon 4G

blasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Yahoo to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Skype™ to blasphemous_prime

And another thing you can do with WMWiFiRouter is connect to XBox live when it has the wireless router in the back, but I use PDANet to tether on both of my devices flawlessly without the battery burnouts of WMWiFiRouter. you can purchace it in the site of june fabrics.
If you are literally serving shit to American children, or knowingly spinning a wheel where it is not unlikely that you will eventually serve shit – if that’s your business model? Then I got no problems with a jury of your peers wiring your nuts to a car battery and feeding you the accumulated sweepings from the bottom of a monkey cage. In fact, I’ll hold the spoon.” -Ralph Dunlop-
Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel
Threadstarter

gregpilot is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSchitt28 View Post
i used the wmwifirouter program when i had my tilt. it basically made my tilt a wireless hotspot and at&t never once complained to me about my data usage. it does eat up alot of battery but you can get a couple hours out of it for web surfing via PC.
A usb cable will work and it has the side benefit of keeping the phone charged, unlike wmwifirouter. (not detracting from it, its a great app!) But you had to have some of a data plan, no? XDA developers has a lot of info on this phone, I know tethering is possible, am very interested in what you told the csr people when you signed up and what the data plan cost. Their "official" support for tethering is in the 60.00 data plan and that's just too much.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:08 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I have the $30 unlimited PDA data plan, but I haven't tethered yet...
Old 08-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: att tilt nd lovin it
Carrier: att

nismax is a n00b

guys if you didnt know you can use your att tilt like your modem. go to wireless manager wmodem set it up and your good to go. thats what i use when i travel to charge tilt and use internet on laptop.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:44 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismax View Post
guys if you didnt know you can use your att tilt like your modem. go to wireless manager wmodem set it up and your good to go. thats what i use when i travel to charge tilt and use internet on laptop.
Right, I have been using wmwifirouter on Sprint. It turns your phone into a wireless router so you can use your laptop's wifi to connect to the phone and use the phone's internet.

The question we have here is- will AT&T bust us if we tether? Will there be huge charges or a cancelled account? we know tethering is possible, it's just a question of AT&T busting us or not...
Old 08-27-2008, 01:41 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TYTN 2/HTC TOUCH

hitman173 is a n00b

actually they do and they dont, att has a High Usage Team in all areas of the united states that monitors 24/7 the usage ppl occur on their mobile phones, such as internet/sms/mms/roaming etc. honestly if u have the 30dls plan for pda personal w/e you can tether it woudlnt be a problem at all, they can differenciate between regular internet usage and as well tethering to a computer, usually they suspend ur account and u call customer servc and they explain why but u do not get penalized at all, so honestly the 60dls plan is all bs. u can use it but know how to use it u get me? another trick is u can have the 15dls media net ultd on the account but u might take ur risk, is simple. call att give em' a regular imei of a v3 or a samsung cheap phone and add ultd media net for 15dls, and insert ur sim card on the tilt and the internet will work flawless..that's what i do and on top of that i tether my phone using the communications manager from att and syncyng(w/e) my phone to my computer, with mac's is different im still learning. i only pay 35 for ultd internet and ultd txt w/ the tilt im using. i learned the hard way when they suspended my account, but hey u think they can monitor all 70million wireless users on their servc? nahh

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > HTC Kaiser