PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 AM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro
Unhappy Ok, I need a Nandroid backup for idiots guide.

Just when I thought I could get by with Sprite Backup.

I'm trying to go about updating my ROM safely but I'm desperately trying to wrap my head around the step before as most say "MAKE SURE YOU DO A NANDROID BACKUP etc etc" but What exactly is a NANDROID backup?

....NANDROID,
Is it an backup app or something pre-existing for backups in a rooted Hero?
If so where to get the app? is it an .apk & if not, whats the install method?
After Googling I keep coming across this app Busybox when looking up how to do a NANDROID backup but I also see G1 in the same sentence so I'm not sure if this Busybox is what I need.

Can anyone explain this in full? Or video guide?

(BTW yes my Hero is rooted w/ stock ROM)
Old 11-10-2009, 11:50 AM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty
Re: Ok, I need a Nandroid backup for idiots guide.

Nandroid comes after rooting. It is on the recovery rom that you will be flashing. Go to the tutorials in the link I have called tips and tricks in my sig. Follow those exactly and then if you have problems go about 4 pages in that's where most are solved. When you boot into recovery there will be an option at the top for a Nandroid backup.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

quiqnezz is keeping up the good workquiqnezz is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjinaro View Post
Just when I thought I could get by with Sprite Backup.

I'm trying to go about updating my ROM safely but I'm desperately trying to wrap my head around the step before as most say "MAKE SURE YOU DO A NANDROID BACKUP etc etc" but What exactly is a NANDROID backup?

....NANDROID,
Is it an backup app or something pre-existing for backups in a rooted Hero?
If so where to get the app? is it an .apk & if not, whats the install method?
After Googling I keep coming across this app Busybox when looking up how to do a NANDROID backup but I also see G1 in the same sentence so I'm not sure if this Busybox is what I need.

Can anyone explain this in full? Or video guide?

(BTW yes my Hero is rooted w/ stock ROM)
It's part of a recovery/bootloader for the rooted hero. You'll see alot of peeps mention "Load the recovery image" onto your hero. Well that's the last step you wanna do after you root your phone. Then when you power up while holding down the home key you'll have access to it. In there you'll have the option to create a "nandroid" backup of your phone. Basically a FULL back up of your ROM. So if you ever need to restore, it'll put everything back to exactly how it was when you create the backup.

Don't worry about non of that busybox stuff. All you need is the recovery image flashed onto your phone and that's it. There's a pic floating around on what it looks like. I posted it on here or XDA I think too.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Fresh 2 Death)

JirafaBo is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to JirafaBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacounty View Post
Follow those exactly and then if you have problems go about 4 pages in that's where most are solved.
The issue he is talking about is that the instructions forgot to tell you to point to the sdcard, so make sure when you are ready to flash the recovery image, your input looks like this...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=34
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Searched, couldn't find, but I know it's out there... how do I save multiple nandroid backups? Not sure which file to ?keep/rename? from the nandroid folder on my sd card.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

quiqnezz is keeping up the good workquiqnezz is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by JirafaBo View Post
Searched, couldn't find, but I know it's out there... how do I save multiple nandroid backups? Not sure which file to ?keep/rename? from the nandroid folder on my sd card.
I just copied the whole nandroid folder. I had wiped and partitioned my SD card but copied that back onto it afterwards and it flashed fine. I guess you can rename the folder whatever you want in the mean time so that you can tell which version it is, but just rename it back to nandroid after you put it back on the card.

Last edited by quiqnezz; 11-10-2009 at 02:11 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiqnezz View Post
I just copied the whole nandroid folder. I had wiped and partitioned my SD card but copied that back onto it afterwards and it flashed fine. I guess you can rename the folder whatever you want in the mean time so that you can tell which version it is, but just rename it back to nandroid after you put it back on the card.

so basically each time you backup it will just rewrite over that folder. so as long as I changed the name of the folder, I could even leave it on the SD, and just change the name back when I wanted to flash back to that one. i'll try that.

results* guess not. I renamed the entire folder, then ran a restore expecting a "file not found" error and it went through with the restore. then I made a new backup, it made a new NANDROID folder, and when I restored, I guess it pulled the newest one, as it said. interesting.

guess i can just trust that I always have that original backup sitting on my computer so if it ever gets too bad, its there, no matter how many backups i make.

Last edited by JirafaBo; 11-10-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

cordevil95 is keeping up the good workcordevil95 is keeping up the good work

I don't think Nandroid does a complete backup and restore of your phone. I'm still not exactly sure how the Android OS is laid out. But I did a backup the other night right after I rooted, last night I deleted some of the stock Sprint apps. Today I messed around wit flashing new ROM. I didn't like it, so I ran my recovery. Well, the Sprint apps are still off my phone even though they were on there when I did the initial backup.

Also, I did a wipe, restore to factory, on my phone using the recovery image and most of my downloaded apps were still on the phone at first boot.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:51 AM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D
Threadstarter

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

Ok, no matter what I do, holding HOME + Power to boot does not take me to the black screen with the green words. Instead I get a white screen with 3 skateboarding Androids at the bottom & only a single option: that clears all storage.

Any ideas?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 AM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Power down phone. Power up holding volume down and End key. If you are rooted you will get a white screen with 3 options. One of those options is to press home for recovery, press it and you will either get the htc screen w green words or you will get a phone with an exclamation point. The ! is a sign that you don't have a recovery image installed correctly. The words is a great sign, continue with back up from nandroid. Oh and don't partition your sd card until you have backed it up!!
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero

Tags
backup, guide, hero, nandroid, root