PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

petermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
do I need to reinstall all my apps after flashing a new rom?

I have a Sprint Android 1.5, which I rooted. But I want to install a custom rom! Do I need to make a list of all the cool apps I have installed and re-download and install them or is there a way to restore them after I flash to a custom rom? Or is there a way to install a custom rom without losing my settings, etc.?

Last edited by petermg; 05-22-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

GregCT2010 is a n00b
Re: do I need to reinstall all my apps after flashing a new rom?

Get a file manager like AstroFile or eStrongs File manager and back up your apps to the SD card. I like Astro, because the batch backup works for me. Backup the backup to your comp.. not a bad idea to back up the entire SD card by just copying it to the comp somewhere you can find it easy. Then, when you get done installing rom (depending on which you use and if you want to use ap2sd you may need to format & partition SD card), copy back to the SD card main partition. Re-download the one file manager app, and install the rest from the backup.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

touch_rules is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartouch_rules is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartouch_rules is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: do I need to reinstall all my apps after flashing a new rom?

Try using a program called "My Backup". You can download the free version from the market place. It will back up everything, home, settings, sms, mms, apps, call history, contacts, calendar to your storage card.

I wouldn't backup:

home: any widgets or programs not installed yet will not work
settings: it's just as easy to set them back up again
contacts and calendar: if you sync with google
apps: you won't get notified of any updates when available from the restored copy.

What I do is just back up the data I want to restore and then on a piece of paper write down a map of sorts for what my home screens looked like and then I go in to the Market and downloads and write down the list of all the apps I have installed. Any apps you purchase will still be in your downloads in the market after any rom flash but all of your free apps will need to be searched again.

I am runing Fresh Toast 2.1 and loving it.

Enjoy.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero