PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > HTC Hermes

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Lurker

dbar2 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question re: Web browsing speeds: 8525

Hi,

I am considering buying an 8525.
I travel alot and would possibly use the 8525 as a laptop replacement.
I do alot of web browsing. I use to have a Sidekick 2. It took on average,
30 to 60 seconds or more to load one (1) webpage !!!
Ai carumba.

Assuming I'm in a 3G area, how long does it take an average webpage to
appear and then load up? (I've heard there is an initial lag after you type in the
address..)

I don't download/ stream video or music. I'm just looking for a smartphone
with a fast webpage browsing experience.

In this regard, can anyone tell me, how does it compare with surfing on
a laptop computer with DSL ? (I know the screen is smaller and so that part
isn't as good ) I'm more wondering about surfing speed.

Thanks for any help !! Much appreciated !!!!!!

Sincerely,
Dbar2
Old 05-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4
Carrier: AT&T

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That is a very complicated answer.

Surfing depends on much more than just data speed. If I tether my phone to a laptop/PC surfing is very fast, not DSL speed but very, very good.

On the phone, you have to remember it is a 400mhz CPU in there, which is also running background processes (which is always the case with a phone PPC) which delay page rendering. Add to that PIE trying to re-scale the page to the screen adding to that delay.

Don't get me wrong, surfing isn't SLOW, but if you're looking for PC speed get a pc It won't happen.

I have found that most sites I need to read have mobile versions that are more than adequate. Online banking, however, is always an issue due to their security requirements. Some work, some do not (you have to research specifics, I have COMMERCE and the site works fine).

You can also speed up surfing time by disabling web page images, but I have never felt the need to do that.

In any case, it is MUCH faster than a sidekick.

I wish nascar.com had a mobile page, that site takes forever to load (and you can also notice the delay on a regular PC). That's life I guess
Old 05-11-2007, 04:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

goldeneyej is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i travel a lot to Europe and the 8525 will be good enought, and u dont need to carry your loptop, unless u will be using the internet a lot 4 business, other than that for email and regular surffing this will do the trick.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > HTC Hermes