PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > HTC Hermes
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 11:57 PM
amf
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC
Carrier: Globe

amf is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
MicroSD Mystery???

I am completely at a loss about the state of my MicroSD card I am using in my TyTn. Can anyone please help me with this:

I have a new TyTn (ROM Ver. 1.18.255.3) with a 512mb miniSD card. In the course of my usual usage, the device hanged and after a few minutes of unresponsiveness, I reset the device using the reset button. When it rebooted, the card is no longer recognized by the phone. I used a card reader and WinXP and Mac OSX cannot also recognize it. If I try to format it (XP), XP says that the card cannot be formatted. I tried using it in my Samsung D820 and it cannot also be formatted. I then concluded that the card was defective and bought a new one (512mb).

After using the new card for a week, my TyTn hanged while accessing a program installed in the card. Again after a few minutes of unresponsiveness, I rebooted the phone using the reboot button. When the device booted-- Bam!!! the card can no longer be recognized by my phone! Windows and Mac OSX cannot mount it. I tried the unrecognized card in my Samsung D820 and it is recognized! I inserted the miniSD card (128mb) originally in my D820 in my TyTn and it is recognized/read by the TyTn. I formatted the defective card in the D820 and copied a few files in it and the D820 can read those files but my TyTn can't! I tried the other 128mb card on my TyTn, formatted it and copied files into it and everything's fine.

How come then that the 512mb card can be read by my Samsung phone and not by the TyTn? My TyTn is certainly not defective because It can access the 128mb card that was originally in my D820. As I stated earlier, I have already formatted the 512mb card in my Samsung phone and have transferred files into it (The Samsung phone can read the files written on it).

I have re-inserted the 512mb card numerous times in my TyTn to no avail. I have also rebooted my TyTn several times and still it cannot recognize/read the 512mb card. I am now using the 128mb card that I originally use in my Samsung D820.

If it can help, I have enabled and unlocked my TyTn's extended ROM. I have a few programs that are installed in my Ext ROM.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

fantastic_mr_q is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to fantastic_mr_q Send a message via Yahoo to fantastic_mr_q
Baffling one that, What format does the D800 format it in, could be that, Check the file structure using your PC.

What programs have you been running?

Any more details about your setup will be most appreciative
Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4
Carrier: AT&T

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like a read/write error. Try this, it may take 20 minutes...

Insert card into card reader in PC. Copy all files to a folder on your PC.

Re-format the card, FAT32, NO quick format

Copy the files back to your storage card.

This will do two things: reformat the card and defragment it also. The error may have occured when writing the program (installation) or reading the program to run it, who knows. But try this, it may work, may not, but I hope it does!

You may have to delete that "program files" folder for that app and reinstall the program if this doesn't work.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:07 AM
amf
Lurker
Threadstarter

amf is a n00b
Another 512mb card just got busted! My TyTn hanged and for fear that the card will get corrupted, I instead ejected the card before I rebooted. Wham! The card is no longer recognized by my TyTn!!!

I then bought a 256mb card. Formatted it in FAT 32 using SKTools (I have no Windows machine... Mac only ) and copied and installed files/programs in it. So far so good. My phone hanged once and I made a reset using the reset button.... crossed my fingers and.... fortunately, the card is still intact!

After formatting my current 256mb card, I also disabled a few registry hacks:

-I Disabled filesystem cache.
HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\EnableCache = 0
HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\CacheSize = 0

-I reverted FileSystem filter cache to zero.
HKLM\System\StorageManager\Filters\fsreplxfilt\Rep lStoreCacheSize = 0

I am just happy that my 512mb card has a 5-yr replacement warranty. Will again return, have it replaced next monday. I hope everything works out fine this time. Thanks for your replies!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Retired Staff

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
No problem on the replies, but you have to figure out why this is happening. I used a 1GB card in my tytn for a month w/o problems. Try answering the following for me:

What apps are on your card?
IE cache on your card?
Mail attachments set to store on card?
Ringtones on your card?
Net CF on card?
Did you attempt the formating steps in my previous post?
Do you have the WINDOWS LIVE BETA installed?
And if so, do you leave it running?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 PM
amf
Lurker
Threadstarter

amf is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmannyc
No problem on the replies, but you have to figure out why this is happening. I used a 1GB card in my tytn for a month w/o problems. Try answering the following for me:

IE cache on your card?
Ringtones on your card?
Net CF on card?
-Resco Explorer/Registry editor
-MapKing
-pTravelAlarm
-SKTools

-IE cache and mail attachments on card.
-.NET CF not on card.
-No Windows Live.
-As I mentioned in my previous post, card formatted with FAT 32 using SKTools.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Lurker

BrotherNov is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherNov
I'm having a similar problem with my card (2 gig Sandisk). I first noticed it when ringtones stored on it no longer worked. No programs installed on it work either, and I need a knife to pry the little booger out of the slot. I'm sure that's not how it's designed to be extracted. I tried to copy everything from it to my computer's desktop, but only the folders came over, no files. I guess I need to buy a new card, but I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my phone since I can't get the card to eject corretly. I looked all over SK Tools and can't figure out how to use it to format a card. Any ideas, oe suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:29 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by amf
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmannyc

IE cache on your card?
Ringtones on your card?
Net CF on card?
-Resco Explorer/Registry editor
-MapKing
-pTravelAlarm
-SKTools

-IE cache and mail attachments on card.
-.NET CF not on card.
-No Windows Live.
-As I mentioned in my previous post, card formatted with FAT 32 using SKTools.

Thanks.
No email attachments to card. Card disconnects when asleep. If you receive mail, it tries to save the attachment to the card, causing this write error (not enough power supplied to card to write the file, write error). You could combat this by NOT automatically DLing attachments, and doing them manually MAKING SURE the phone is "awake" the entire time it downloads.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > HTC Hermes