PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo Shift 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 06:26 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TP
Carrier: Sprint

jparks29 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Processor?

Supposed to have an 8xx Mhz snapdragon processor, how will that compare to the Evo or Epic?

What about the embedded GPU?

I have a TP2 and can't even run a movie encoded @ 320x240 in WMV without a hiccup. I know they're quite a few leaps ahead, but which one is the fastest?

Last edited by jparks29; 01-07-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: sprint

john80hotkey is becoming a great contributor
Re: Processor?

well based on my research and understanding the 800mhz processor in the evo shift is a 2nd generation snapdragon processor and even though it is underclocked from the 1ghz snapdragon is actually suppose to be more efficient and faster than the 1ghz 1st gen snapdragon found in the original evo. as far as how that compares to the epic is unknown to me I think the hummingbird processor is still ahead of the second gen snapdragon as it was well ahead of the first gen snapdragon in the evo so the 2nd gen might have msde up some ground but I dont believe it still compares. video playback with new phones is completely different with hd video recording and playback regular movies wont cause any problems I watch vidoes online with my browser with few lags and downloaded movies with no problem on my evo.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

princem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to princem131 Send a message via Yahoo to princem131

+1 You pick up a keyboard and second gen processor but lose a front facing camera and screen real-estate basically

Quote:
Originally Posted by john80hotkey View Post
well based on my research and understanding the 800mhz processor in the evo shift is a 2nd generation snapdragon processor and even though it is underclocked from the 1ghz snapdragon is actually suppose to be more efficient and faster than the 1ghz 1st gen snapdragon found in the original evo. as far as how that compares to the epic is unknown to me I think the hummingbird processor is still ahead of the second gen snapdragon as it was well ahead of the first gen snapdragon in the evo so the 2nd gen might have msde up some ground but I dont believe it still compares. video playback with new phones is completely different with hd video recording and playback regular movies wont cause any problems I watch vidoes online with my browser with few lags and downloaded movies with no problem on my evo.

Check out my blog: http://brownhandstech.blogspot.com
Old 01-11-2011, 02:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul

emkorial is just getting started

The CPU SMOKES the TP2

It's 800 Mhz and runs everything smoothly. Remember, you don't want a CPU as fast as possible, you want a CPU just fast enough to meet your needs, and no faster, because at that point all you are doing is running your battery down faster.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

princem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to princem131 Send a message via Yahoo to princem131

My question is how noticeable/significant is the power boost in the Shift's 2nd gen processor vs the Evo's 1st gen processor? And in what areas do you see the boosts?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:47 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro 2

tornacl is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to tornacl Send a message via MSN to tornacl Send a message via Yahoo to tornacl

+1 for John80 .

Awesome research man. The fact that it is a 2nd gen Snapdragon allows it to run real close speed wise with the 1GHZ 1st gen snap dragon.

With the smaller screen and less power consumed by the whole package, it should have excellent battery life.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO Shift 4G

prboy1969 is keeping up the good workprboy1969 is keeping up the good work

Saw video somewhere of a head to head EVO Shift vs. EVO. The Shift was faster as far as megaflops. Don't know exactley what that means. But I do know, my Shift is considerably faster than my TP2 ever was. My TP2 was OC'd to 729mHz w/ a jump to 768mHz. Loving my Shift
Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornacl View Post
+1 for John80 .

Awesome research man. The fact that it is a 2nd gen Snapdragon allows it to run real close speed wise with the 1GHZ 1st gen snap dragon.

With the smaller screen and less power consumed by the whole package, it should have excellent battery life.
well that battery statement is not true, well not for me and lots of others i see in forums. its not terrible or anything but my epic is better.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:18 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

NthgToFear is a n00b

I just unpacked my Shift this morning and started playing with it. Initially it seems slower than the Evo.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium

geekdaddy is keeping up the good workgeekdaddy is keeping up the good workgeekdaddy is keeping up the good work

It's important to distinguish between cpu performance and graphics performance. The qualcomm and samsung processor SoC's have a general purpose CPU and a dedicated graphics engine. In general...

1. Qualcomm's snapdragon cpu at 1GHz is faster than Samsung's Hummingbird.
2. The Shift uses an 800MHz version of Snapdragon. Probably a little slower.
3. The Samsung graphics engine is the Power 540. The fastest currently shipping on an SoC.
4. The Qualcomm graphics engine on Evo is Adreno 200. Shift uses new 205.
5. The Adreno 205 is much faster (4x) vs 200 and almost as fast as the 540. It also has dedicated HW decode for Flash.

So the overall user experience is based on a combination of cpu and graphics performance and response. The CPU used in the Shift isn't as fast as the Evo but it's close. Probably about the same performance as Samsung. The Shift's graphics processor is much faster than the EVO and just a little slower than Samsung. More info here:

What is Adreno 205 and how does it compare to other GPUs? - Smartphone Benchmarks (SmartBench 2010/Quadrant) Forum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(processor)
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo Shift 4G