PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

c0ch3s3 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
messaing app fore closing, new messages not reverting to "read" status

Hey guys and gals,

Allow me to preface this by saying that I have searched this forum for an answer but i didn't find any threads that addressed this specific issue. If you have a link to a thread that might help, please post.

I use Handcent for texting. Recently I noticed that I stopped getting "incoming message" notifications. Also, once I viewed a text, the message would not revert to it's "already read" status. Also, when I used the back arrow to exit out of a text, it would take me back to the phone's home screen, instead of the Hancent home screen. So, I deleted and reinstalled Handcent. Same issue. I deleted Handcent again and reverted back to the stock messaging app. Same issue. After messing around with it for a few days I've realized that (i think) something is forcing my messaging app to force close when I use the back arrow to exit out of a text I just read. Not sure what is causing this and I think that its force closing before it gets a chance to purge any new messages that I have read. I also see that when this happens, I will lose my cellular connection for a split second. It's like it forces the connection to reset. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community
Re: messaing app fore closing, new messages not reverting to "read" status

Have you installed something else recently that could be causing the issue? What ROM are you running? Do you have a custom kernel or stock? Have you tried clearing cache and dalvik in recovery to see if it fixes the problem? have you tried to update your profile and prl? If all else fails I would reinstall the ROM over itself and see if that fixes the issue, doing that shouldn't hurt anything or erase your settings/programs unless your on a custom ROM that wipes before it installs, not many do though, this is just what I thought of off the top of my head.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

c0ch3s3 is a n00b

Thanks for the response!

To answer your questions:
I am running stock 2.3.5
I have updated everything I could update.
I guess it's possible that something could have gotten through with an app I downloaded. But I've only download a couple apps this month, and they were both from the Andriod Market.

If I have to I can reinstall the ROM. I just mainly want to try everything else first.

Can you go into a little more detail on the "clearing cache and dalvik in recovery" part? Or post a link for me?
Old 02-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Android Soldier

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

Well if you are on the stock ROM and not rooted then you cannot get into the recovery and clear the cache and dalvik because you have to be rooted and load a custom recovery on the phone in order to access that special menu, and that's where you load custom ROM's from and other items that you want to flash, below is a link to a thread about all the great stuff with rooting, flashing custom ROM's, see below link:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-evo-4g...roms-wipe.html
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

c0ch3s3 is a n00b

Thanks for the help!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Android Soldier

Not a problem, did I actually help, I mean did you figure the problem out?
Old 02-23-2012, 07:34 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

c0ch3s3 is a n00b

Well, after a few days of trying this and that, this morning I opened my messaging app, sent a message, backed out of it and all my messages were automatically deleted and now its working like it should. Not sure if this is a good thing, I'm hoping it doesn't make a habit out of it.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Android Soldier

If it were me I would root the phone just for the fact of being able to back-up all my programs and messages, even though you are not rooted you can download and use GO SMS and it has a function to back-up your messages, but I like being rooted and being able to use Titanium Back-up and back-up all my programs so that I don't have to redownload them. Glad to hear that you got things straightened out, wish Google would let you sync your messages like they do your calendar and contacts.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G