PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

furrycnorm is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to furrycnorm
Is my $15 a month plan at it's demise?

Ok, let me lay it out for you. I worked at Best Buy and in 2003 got a sprint plan for $15 a month called Retailer Emp Plan 750. It includes 750 anytime minutes, unlimited text and data. I have been using it just fine and have had a Touch Pro 2 for the past couple years. I just bought an htc evo 4g on ebay and received it today. Upon calling Sprint to switch over to the new esn, I am told that my plan no longer supports smart phones and I will have to switch to an $80 a month plan if I want to use the evo. She said that sprint went away with the old employee plans as of August, 2010 and that I would have to keep the phone I have or get a normal cell phone that isn't a smart phone. Now I am at a rock and a hard place. Do I want to keep my $15 a month plan? Hell yes! Can I go on living my life with a dumb phone? Hell no! My TP2 is on its last leg and I don't know what to do. Anyone have any advice?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: E4GT, Touch Pro 2, Evo, Blackberry 9330

matchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Is my $15 a month plan at it's demise?

Stick with the TP2 if you want your plan to stay the same. Otherwise they're charging you the 'premium data' package or something like that. Plus you have to pay more for the 4g, iirc, even if you don't have it in your area.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

furrycnorm is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to furrycnorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchstickredgti View Post
Stick with the TP2 if you want your plan to stay the same. Otherwise they're charging you the 'premium data' package or something like that. Plus you have to pay more for the 4g, iirc, even if you don't have it in your area.
Yeah I would glady pay an extra $10 a month for the premium data package, but looks like I have to get a whole new plan that is $69.99 plus the data.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Older than Dirt!
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: sprint

Thundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

You could buy another TP2....
Old 12-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
So I guess it doesn't work like the Sero plan where you just make a premium account to add newer phones. It sucks if the only option is to switch to the 69.99 plan. I ended up keeping only 1 Sero and getting a family 5 line plan with my work discount. It ends up costing me about $55 a line with data plan and all smartphones. Of course my Sero plan is still $30/month with a dumb phone on it. Keeping that for wife as long as I can. May upgrade to $40 Sero premium for an lte phone or a new windows phone.

Sent from my HTC EvO 3D... On The Now Network
Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

billyman is becoming a great contributor

Sprint's way of forcing us out of our grandfathered plans into the more expensive plans. Same thing happened to me. It's the cost of technological progress. I have "heard" of people here being able to keep their SERO plans, but no one I know personally. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Lurker

brock129 is a n00b

Unfortunately your Sh!t out of luck. Even if you get a new TP2 and activate it they will force you to change your plan because as of earlier this year they changed their ruling for these types of plans stating that if you have a smartphone on one of those SERO plans they will not make you pay more BUT if you activate a new phone, buy a new one, switch to a different phone or anything that requires switching the ESN currently associated with your account to another smartphone, they will force you to switch and on top of the plan change, add the 10 dollar premium add on regardless of your location and if you get those services.

Unfortunately the company we all once loved for their backdoor low priced plans that not everyone knew about is becoming a money whore like the rest of the carriers. I honestly wouldn't be complaining that much if i actually got the 4g my phone is capable of.

Oh how i miss my 30/mo SERO 500 plan
Old 12-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Almost a VIP

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
They wont force you to switch, they just add the $10 premium fee if you use any other smartphone than windows mobile. For $40 and being able to use any phone with Sprint I think that's a darn good price. And if you want you can go back to $30 non premium plan. All I know is that my $30 plan for my wife is worth it. Hopefully you can get the $30 plan transferred. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC EvO 3D... On The Now Network

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G