PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 05:00 PM
jamiclnt80

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
htc evo 4g root need help

i have tried atried the revolutionay root but when i enter my generated beta key it says invalid. riley thanks for the link and i did exactly what it says but its still nit working. the is really frustrating can someone plesa tell me what may be the problem. i know its case sensitive and have tried many times. thanks
Old 09-10-2011, 12:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 2.3.3
Carrier: Metro pcs

montecristo1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmontecristo1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmontecristo1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: htc evo 4g root need help

Root froyo, try Zroot

For gingerbread:
1. Make sure you have extracted the HTC EVO 4G Gingerbread rooting files as described in the Requirements section.
2. Uninstall HTC Sync from your computer first before proceeding. Install the drivers provided by HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe (included in the HTC EVO 4G Gingerbread rooting files that you downloaded). The method in this guide will only work with those drivers. You can reinstall HTC Sync after you finish rooting your handset.
3. Connect your HTC EVO 4G and your Windows computer using a USB cable. Set the connection type as “Charge only.”
4. Enable USB Debugging mode on your handset. You can do that by going to the Settings>Applications>Development screen and checking “USB Debugging.”
5. Open a command prompt or terminal on your computer and go to the directory where you extracted the rooting files by using the command cd Desktop\rootevo4ggingerbread and pressing the Enter key.
6. Invoke ADB to list your device’s serial number. Type adb devices on the command prompt and press Enter. You will see a list of attached devices. Take note of the serial number for your handset. (Another way to find out your handset’s serial number is to pull out the phone’s battery and take a look in the battery compartment. The serial number is printed there and usually starts with the letter “H”.)
7. Generate a Beta key for Revolutionary: S-OFF & Recovery Tool 0.4pre4. The executable binary file for the tool is already included in rootevo4ggingerbread.zip, but you need a beta key to be able to use the tool. Generate a beta key for your HTC EVO 4G handset by going to revolutionary.io. Fill in the form with the following information:

Your operating system: Windows
Your device: HTC EVO 4G
HBOOT version: 2.16.0001
Serial number: type here the serial number provided by ADB in the previous step
8. Take note of the beta key generated by the site.
9. From the command prompt on the computer, run revolutionary.exe (type the command and press Enter). Or, an easier way to launch the program would be to double-click the executable file from within Windows Explorer. The program will ask you for the beta key. Copy and paste the beta key and then press Enter to start the rooting process. It usually takes some time, so be patient.
10. When the program completes, it will ask you whether you want to download ClockworkMod Recovery and flash it onto the handset. Say no by typing “N” and pressing Enter at the command prompt.
11. Change the USB connection type on your handset to “Disk drive.” Your computer will detect the SD card on your handset. Using Windows Explorer, open your handset’s SD card folder. Copy PC36IMG.zip to the root folder (not a subfolder) on your handset’s SD card.
12. Unplug your phone and turn it off.
13. Boot the HTC EVO 4G into Hboot. To do that, press the handset’s Power button and Volume Down button simultaneously for a few seconds. The device will go into Hboot. You will see a prompt asking whether you want to start update. Press the Volume Up button to select “Yes.” Wait for the update to finish. Once it does, you will be asked to reboot the handset. Select “No.”
14. Go into recovery mode. On the handset, scroll down to “Recovery” (use the Volume buttons to scroll) and press the Power button to select it.
15. Once the device is in recovery mode, highlight “USB-MS toggle” from the menu and press the Power button to select it. Plug your phone back into your computer.
16. Using Windows Explorer on your computer, copy su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip from the “rootevo4ggingerbread” folder to the root folder on your handset’s SD card.
17. Press the Power button on your handset to disable the USB-MS toggle and go back to the recovery mode menu.
18. Select “Flash ZIP from SD card” on the main menu. In the next menu, select “Choose ZIP from SD card.” You will see a list of the files on your SD card. Use the Volume buttons to scroll through the list. Highlight su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip and press the Power button to select it.
19. After the handset finishes flashing the file, select “Return” to go back to the previous menu. Select “Reboot system now” to restart your handset.
20. Your HTC EVO 4G will reboot. To confirm that you have successfully rooted your handset, check for an app icon named Superuser on the device. If it’s there, congratulations! You’ve just rooted your HTC EVO 4G and you can now enjoy the advantages of using a rooted device.

Files needed are on the bottom links...

Resources:
How to Root Your HTC EVO 4G (with OTA Gingerbread Update)
Revolutionary
[ROOT] EVO 4G Gingerbread 2.3 Root Tutorial - xda-developers
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: evo 4g
Carrier: sprint

back\slash is a n00b

Guys I'm having the same problem...
Did all the steps correctlly but the key for revolutionary is not working.
keeps saying invalid key. I checked and rechecked everything but still no go. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by back\slash View Post
Guys I'm having the same problem...
Did all the steps correctlly but the key for revolutionary is not working.
keeps saying invalid key. I checked and rechecked everything but still no go. Any help would be appreciated.
The biggest issue people are having is that they are trying to type in the beta instead of copying and pasting it, have you tried that already also?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G