PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 01:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO!
Carrier: Sprint

Fat Tony is keeping up the good workFat Tony is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My Evo screen isn't coming on. I am rooted. Can I go to warranty?

My Evo is still under warranty and it just took a crap on me. The bottom lights up (home, search, back) and it rings but the screen is dead. I pulled the battery, I prayed, I charged, I banged it on the table, no luck.

Problem is I am rooted. If I take the phone in to the store, can they tell I am rooted? I suppose I can do the insurance thing but I don't want to part with a hunnet right now.
Isaiah 43:2 When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:20 AM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: My Evo screen isn't coming on. I am rooted. Can I go to warranty?

I would say that you're safe since the screen is not working, not like they can tell until they get the screen fixed, and by then it would be to late, I say take your chances and take it in, but to be honest I don't think they do screen swaps anymore I think they'll want to replace the phone, which would mean you would get a phone with the OTA 2.3.3 Gingerbread update and won't be able to root until they get that figured out.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

CripledCyclone is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIOWA69 View Post
I would say that you're safe since the screen is not working, not like they can tell until they get the screen fixed, and by then it would be to late, I say take your chances and take it in, but to be honest I don't think they do screen swaps anymore I think they'll want to replace the phone, which would mean you would get a phone with the OTA 2.3.3 Gingerbread update and won't be able to root until they get that figured out.

Which you can do now.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO AND SAMSUNG EPIC

Xplicit.78 is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to Xplicit.78

Sorry to say , sprint can tell when your device is rooted, all they do is swap screens, power it up and by no means is it too late to reject the repair if it's rooted, thing is it will still get replaced but it will be heavily noted that the device was rooted, that way customers wont keep BRICKING they're devices and saying , "oh i dunno wut happened, it just went dead", the techs know you broke cause you weren't paying attention, either way it can still get replaced and sprint will swap the screen.......
Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

I have been around phones for a little while and I have NEVER heard/seen anyone brick a phone by changing roms, when you get into changing radios and stuff yeah.

Sprint can tell that your rooted just by looking at their system, I called in with a problem before and they said maybe it's because your Evolved rom doesn't have an updated PRL or something else, can't remember exactly, but I was surprised that they could see it, but they did, he was the first to ever say anything about me having a custom rom on the phone, and he was in technical support, he didn't say anything and still tried to troubleshoot the issue.

The point I'm trying to make is yeah they might see that your rooted after they fix the phone, but I have never heard of a rom causing a screen not to work, if you have then please show me so I can be more educated/informed.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G