PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 05:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC 6800
Carrier: SPRINT

shorty82 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Sd card applications are missing... Plz help

I thought that this was the coolest phone when I first got it but for the last week I have ran into a problem with my SD card(s) that have cost me countless hours with no resolution. I'm inches away from trashing this phone and going to an I phone, but hopefully someone will be able to help me before that is necessary.

For the last week I have set up and re-downloaded all of my applications and moved them to the SD card when possible. Everytime I am about finished and restart my phone, I loose every application that is saved on the SD card. It's gotten rediculous and I have spend hours and hours trying to figure out why. I am on the Virus Rom, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the problem. I have enabled the Apps2SD hack and formated my card to allow apps to be installed on the SD, I have also not enabled the Apps2SD hack and left the card formated normal. I have repaired my card using windows, but nothing was wrong, reformated the card several times on windows and on the phone, I have even tried different cards and I have the same problem everytime. Once I get a ton of applications saved on the card, the first time that my phone reboots I loose all the applications on the card.

Is there like a limit to how many applications I can install on my system? If so, then whats the point of getting a card bigger than 8 GB since I haven't even used half a GB...

Is it a problem with the ROM? If so, I apologize for not putting this in the correct location...

Is there any solution that anyone can think of, or am I just screwed because of a limitation in the number of applications that can be installed? The applications are still on the SD card, because I can see them when I plug the card into my windows machine in the .android_secure folder but for some reason my ANDROID won't read the applications.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated... Wow this sucks, I feel like I'm back to the random problems I would have with my windows phone, or maybe I'm just tired right now because I just spend 3 hours configuring the phone for about the 6th time in a couple of days.. lol, I'm just venting now because I'm frustrated and tired. Before I start to sound crazy I'm going to bed, hopefully someone can help me so that I can finally put this huge inconvenience to rest. Thank you for any help that you can offer.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269
Re: Sd card applications are missing... Plz help

is your card formatted as FAT32 or NTFS?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Both of the SD cards I have tried were formatted in FAT32.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

cruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

First off, you shouldn't be removing cards from your phone and swapping back and forth. Second, if your on Froyo which you are if your using a current rom than you don't need a hack to move your apps to sd card. Third, time to start off from scratch, format your sd card and do a factory reset on your phone so that your back to a clean install of your fresh rom or whatever rom you desire. Now, install either the apps2sd or movetosd app from the market, I prefer movetosd. Then use which ever program you chose to move the apps to sd that are moveable. Not all are moveable and thats why you shouldn't use a hack.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I have tried to start from scratch that about 6 times so far, thats why I removed the SD card. I wanted to see if the SD card was the problem or if it was hardware.... Unfortunately, it was neither. I could read both SD cards on the PC but I can also read both cards on the android except the .android_secure folder after I install an unknown amount of apps or possibly a specific app that is messing my system up. I haven't tried flashing the rom yet, I have just been wiping the .andorid_secure folder using windows (the card is somehow locked up using android) and then everything works as normal except I have none of my apps that were on the folder. I'm going to reflash my rom and see if that helps.

The rom is the only thing I can think of because the cards are good and the android hardware is good because it reads both cards, so that only leaves the system... I just wasn't sure if there is some type of limit to the amount of apps that can be installed on an android or if there are known apps that cause this problem. There are a ton of apps on my phone and it could be any of them..... Thanks for all of the help..
Old 11-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Compusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Compusmurf Send a message via AIM to Compusmurf Send a message via MSN to Compusmurf Send a message via Yahoo to Compusmurf

Go back to stock rom. If you have the issue that narrows it down to your evo or card and you've pretty much already eliminated the cards....
Old 11-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: sprint

supanatuwral is a n00b

This problem happens with multiple roms.....I have used cm6, omj, and fresh roms and had many problems moving apps to the SD card. The problem comes after not using my phone or after a reboot. The problems range from the apps disappearing or not being usable while still being installed. I have had the market stop working and apps not being installable, even the ones on my sd card. Without my nandroid backups I think my phone would be unusable. I have done as much as I can to try and fix this problem, even log in and out of Google talk. I have decided to not install any apps to the SD until this one gets figured out by the android pros here or at xda. I know there are threads talking about this, but I don't see a permanent solution.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

Have you tried a new card? They are exceedingly inexpensive. The name brand ones are device ready.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supanatuwral View Post
This problem happens with multiple roms.....I have used cm6, omj, and fresh roms and had many problems moving apps to the SD card. The problem comes after not using my phone or after a reboot. The problems range from the apps disappearing or not being usable while still being installed. I have had the market stop working and apps not being installable, even the ones on my sd card. Without my nandroid backups I think my phone would be unusable. I have done as much as I can to try and fix this problem, even log in and out of Google talk. I have decided to not install any apps to the SD until this one gets figured out by the android pros here or at xda. I know there are threads talking about this, but I don't see a permanent solution.
That sucks because I have too many apps that I use everyday... They won't all fit on the evo. I already tried to get rid of a ton of my apps but now I'm down to a smaller amount, this sucks. Have you found a Rom that doesn't have this problem?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo / E4gT / MoPho

treotraveler is keeping up the good worktreotraveler is keeping up the good worktreotraveler is keeping up the good work

Apps won't show in the app drawer if you move them to the card and reboot, because your apps are no longer in the device memory.

Only two ways around this, one is to have them on your Home screen prior to moving them to your card, but the app icons will be different.

The other way is to use an app called Power Strip, which will show all apps on the device, in the device memory or on the card in it's app folder.

Power Strip is a very good, customizable multi tasking application. It's in the market......

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
missing, sd, sd card, virus