PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

reigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Odexed vs. Deodexed

I been reading up a little bit on this over at XDA and on here as well, but maybe you guys can throw out a better explanation for me. From what I read, Odexed ROMS use less memory but some of the tweaks, such as battery percent in battery icon, can not be installed. Deodexed takes up more memory but everything is modifiable. Am I on the right track?
Old 08-01-2010, 06:04 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

olimar814 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Odexed vs. Deodexed

Quote:
Originally Posted by reigndropz View Post
I been reading up a little bit on this over at XDA and on here as well, but maybe you guys can throw out a better explanation for me. From what I read, Odexed ROMS use less memory but some of the tweaks, such as battery percent in battery icon, can not be installed. Deodexed takes up more memory but everything is modifiable. Am I on the right track?
+1...?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:09 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: S3/GN2/AXIOM/TP2/Hero/Moment/EVO
Carrier: *--USCC--*

apristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to apristel Send a message via Skype™ to apristel

Basically if you want themes and stuff you want Deodexed.

from a post on XDA..

Deodexed ROMs have their .apk's (which are basically the application packages) repackaged in a certain way. An "odex" can be thought of as a collection of parts of applications that have been pulled out and optimized before booting. This speeds up the boot process - in a way, it preloads part of the applications - but it also makes hacking those apps difficult because part of the original code is already extracted somewhere else.

Deodexing is just a process of putting those pieces back into the original applications. It takes a while to extract those parts and build the .dex cache (aka Dalvik cache), but only because the relevant parts aren't in an easy-to-access place for the system. The advantage of this is that an app can be modified effectively and the developer doesn't have to worry about conflicts from the separate odex part of the code.

So, short version: "Deodexed" ROMs have all their apps put back together. If an app can be themed, for example, a deodexed version of that app will not get messed up when the modified .apk tries to mesh with the odex of the original un-modified .apk. Because it's not there.

If you want an aftermarket theme, you need a deodexed ROM. I'm not sure if deodexing can be done to individual apps within a non-deodexed ROM.
This post has been thanked 10 times.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo
Threadstarter

reigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuff

Yeah I understand that part, but why would a chef NOT want to use a Deoxed ROM? Is it only because of memory reasons?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

tj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

deodexed roms run fine for me
Old 08-02-2010, 01:59 AM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart

Quote:
Originally Posted by reigndropz View Post
Yeah I understand that part, but why would a chef NOT want to use a Deoxed ROM? Is it only because of memory reasons?
Like he said, you're choosing a bit more memory use for theme/mod-ability as opposed to the most efficient but more locked down method. The consensus in the dev community is a resounding "deodexed".

Sponsored by Kools.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D-Flashaholic
Carrier: Sprint F&F an SERO..Oscuras

ddark4eva is keeping up the good workddark4eva is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to ddark4eva

ahh so thats it, since i just started making themes i guess ill be looking specifically for Deodex now
Old 08-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO

MrDSL is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMrDSL is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMrDSL is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMrDSL is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

My understanding was Deodexed only used more memory and took longer on initial boot but after that it used less memory. I could be wrong though its been awhile since I read about it.
Radio: 2.15.00.09.01
Old 08-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddark4eva View Post
ahh so thats it, since i just started making themes i guess ill be looking specifically for Deodex now
Correct

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G