PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC incredible
Carrier: verizon

jdubu is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Simple, basic, no threading, old school texting - it is possible?

Hey folks,
What the heck - why is everyone so tied up with this sms threading trend.

I just want text messages in a long list I can view and reply.

Bottom line - I have no use for threading or grouping, or whatever it's called. Is this even possible anymore?

I just need to get text messages, view them, and be able to reply. That too much to ask...

I was hoping Handcent could be toned down to do this, but it seems it's not configurable enough...

Ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC incredible
Carrier: verizon
Threadstarter

jdubu is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Simple, basic, no threading, old school texting - it is possible?

A bit more clarification:

The downside is that threading doesn't always work well when the messages are sent from the same source, but have different "subjects."

In a social chat where people have different chat addresses this makes sense.

Linear chat where a business just needs to get updates like a pager it does not work as well.

If a server is down I need to see that text top of the list, and at a glance I can how long it's been down, etc., at a quick glance (not having to click the screen to the get to the important info).

On a given night I may have a number of web server events at a webhost, where the sending email address is always the same, the subject of each message is different, and/or the subject may be same but body text might be different (such as, server x is showing high load, server y has high latency in network, etc.), they all get lumped into one or possibly multiple threads.

So then I have to do digging through different threads because server x issue may have bits and pieces in thread 1 and 3, server y, in thread 2 and 3, etc.

So then I have a few threads with a jumble of different subjects or topics, making the management of different subject line or body information confusing.

There is a place for linear quck view lists, where responding is not always the norm, which is why I'm wondering why more businesses are not commenting on losing this respectively.

Thanks,
Jim

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible

Tags
simple threading sms