PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Droid Eris
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

qwho is keeping up the good workqwho is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exchange on Droid Eris

So the consensus on google is that Verizon somehow blocks Exchange access on the Eris? My friend at work just got one, and is trying to set up exchange access on it. At first I thought I could just install the 'work email' apk I had that is floating around. It works nice on the vogue running android. When I tried to install it, it said it would have to replace a system application, which meant that it was already installed. Sure enough, the full function exchange app is on there, but it won't sync, with my settings or his.

Is there a way around paying the $15 fee for exchange support? Is there a market solution that is free, or a one-time fee? I know roadsync costs money now, it used to be free.

Anyhow thanks in advance
Old 12-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid Eris
Carrier: Verizon

Gervy is a n00b
Re: Exchange on Droid Eris

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwho View Post
So the consensus on google is that Verizon somehow blocks Exchange access on the Eris? My friend at work just got one, and is trying to set up exchange access on it. At first I thought I could just install the 'work email' apk I had that is floating around. It works nice on the vogue running android. When I tried to install it, it said it would have to replace a system application, which meant that it was already installed. Sure enough, the full function exchange app is on there, but it won't sync, with my settings or his.

Is there a way around paying the $15 fee for exchange support? Is there a market solution that is free, or a one-time fee? I know roadsync costs money now, it used to be free.

Anyhow thanks in advance

What are you talking about Willis?
I have Exchange access on mine by default, and don't have any additional fee. Just the normal Verizon data plan. (If you be paying for "Exchange" access, you're getting ripped off).

However, if you want a great app on the market that doesn't require 'Exchange Access' just data, just buy "Exchange by TouchDown". This is the best Exchange app on the market and well worth the $20.

--------------
Verizon Droid Eris
Old 12-22-2009, 12:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Iphone

bennysangel is keeping up the good workbennysangel is keeping up the good work

I don't pay either. I sync with my exchange account too. I set it up through the manual settings and if you can access your work email by a web use that address that's what I did.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thanks for the replies. Maybe something is up with our exchange server here... it's just weird that I had exchange working great on my vogue running android on sprint.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

Try using your: domain\nt4 for the login name instead of the UPN login name
Old 12-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

We've got a highly locked-down exchange server here, when I use exchange in windows mobile, it forces a PIN number to be set up with an auto lock at 20 min or less, or else it won't send some sort of security certificate. Apparently the version of the email/active sync app on the Eris does not support this. He ended up getting touchdown for now, it supports that functionality.

So apparently the mail.apk from the magic is a newer/more advanced version of the email application than what's on the Eris. I tried to convince him to overwrite what is on there with the magic's version, but he doesn't want to screw up his phone. If it were me I'd do it, there is a hard reset function, right?
Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Gervy is a n00b

Quote:
We've got a highly locked-down exchange server here, when I use exchange in windows mobile, it forces a PIN number to be set up with an auto lock at 20 min or less, or else it won't send some sort of security certificate. Apparently the version of the email/active sync app on the Eris does not support this. He ended up getting touchdown for now, it supports that functionality.

So apparently the mail.apk from the magic is a newer/more advanced version of the email application than what's on the Eris. I tried to convince him to overwrite what is on there with the magic's version, but he doesn't want to screw up his phone. If it were me I'd do it, there is a hard reset function, right?

UHG - tell your Exchange admin to chill on the security if he wants remote users to be happy.
As an fellow IT guy, I have people who use too heavy of security just because they can.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gervy View Post
UHG - tell your Exchange admin to chill on the security if he wants remote users to be happy.
As an fellow IT guy, I have people who use too heavy of security just because they can.
It's a major university-linked hospital system's exchange server, so I don't think that they really care if a few people might not be able to connect to exchange.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Gervy is a n00b

Quote:
It's a major university-linked hospital system's exchange server, so I don't think that they really care if a few people might not be able to connect to exchange.
I won't argue the technical details here as it's not the appropriate place, but it's bad procedure to limit access of valid users, and fake security (meaning, it only keeps the kiddies out).
Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gervy View Post
I won't argue the technical details here as it's not the appropriate place, but it's bad procedure to limit access of valid users, and fake security (meaning, it only keeps the kiddies out).
Oh, I agree with you... I was just saying there's no way they would listen to me about user email access restrictions.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Droid Eris