PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 08:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO (but no 4G yet!)
Carrier: Sprint

shappy0869 is keeping up the good workshappy0869 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do you like your Diamond?

So I have had an original Touch for almost 2 years now. I am eligible for the $150 credit to renew my SERO contract and in lieu of of options like the Pre and Hero and with no news of a Diamond 2 coming out, I am considering a Diamond.

So those of you who currently have a Diamond, how has your user experience been?

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: How do you like your Diamond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy0869 View Post
So I have had an original Touch for almost 2 years now. I am eligible for the $150 credit to renew my SERO contract and in lieu of of options like the Pre and Hero and with no news of a Diamond 2 coming out, I am considering a Diamond.

So those of you who currently have a Diamond, how has your user experience been?

Thanks.
Just to let you know, there is some new information that just came out about the Diamond2 coming to Sprint.
So you may want to wait a little while for it to come out so you can take a look at it.
Here is the link to the thread>
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=80285

Btw, I have a Diamond and really like it.
You can see by my signature that I have made a few tweaks to it
A year ago, I was in the same situation as you somewhat.
I had a Motorola VE20 and wanted to get a WinMo device.
I was looking at the Touch and posted inquiries about the device on PPCGeeks.
Most told me that if I can wait a month or 2, that the Diamond was coming out that improved upon the Touch.
I really wanted a new device right away as an impulse but I waited a month and a half for the Diamond to come out, and I am glad I did.
Just alittle personal story that may help with your decision.

But to reiterate, the Diamond is a really nice device, and I will be looking at the Diamond2 if it should come to Sprint, regarding its size and features, as compared to my Diamond.
I now have 2 Diamonds. I purchased one to have as a backup.

Read from post #34 on
And a few registry tweaks
HTC DIAMOND DISASSEMBLY/ASSEMBLY/PARTS/REPAIR HELP HERE >

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security"
-Ben Franklin

Last edited by Biker1; 09-15-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO (but no 4G yet!)
Threadstarter

shappy0869 is keeping up the good workshappy0869 is keeping up the good work

Thank you for the link and info, very interesting!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy0869 View Post
Thank you for the link and info, very interesting!
No problem.
I am happy to help out
Old 09-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

I say the only thing holding the diamond back is WinMO.

I have been using WinMO for the only reason that until lately, it has really been the only (and real) Smartphone OS. In october there will finally be a second choice on Sprint, a choice with a thriving 3rd party developer community
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
Old 09-16-2009, 10:54 AM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
I say the only thing holding the diamond back is WinMO.

I have been using WinMO for the only reason that until lately, it has really been the only (and real) Smartphone OS. In october there will finally be a second choice on Sprint, a choice with a thriving 3rd party developer community
How is WinMo the "real and only" smartphone OS yet it hold the diamond (or any other WM device for that matter) back? WinMo is what makes the diamond what it is. As far as second choice being Android in October, WebOS would be the third choice, WinMo the second choice and BB being first since thats how it was offered on the Sprint network. WebOS is becoming real popular, real fast. i will admit WM needs to step it up because once Android hits Sprint, it might be two big brothers (WebOS and Android) beating up the little stepbrother (WinMo).

As far as OP is concerned, i loved my Diamond, different than the original Touch but thats something you have to get used to with TF3D. i didnt like being capped at 4GB of onboard storage but thats a personal preference. All around, it was and still is a great device. A bit crappy on the battery life but if you are lurking around here you can find something to help with that issue.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"
Old 09-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Almost a VIP

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtech3 View Post
How is WinMo the "real and only" smartphone OS yet it hold the diamond (or any other WM device for that matter) back? WinMo is what makes the diamond what it is. As far as second choice being Android in October, WebOS would be the third choice, WinMo the second choice and BB being first since thats how it was offered on the Sprint network. WebOS is becoming real popular, real fast. i will admit WM needs to step it up because once Android hits Sprint, it might be two big brothers (WebOS and Android) beating up the little stepbrother (WinMo).
You're right on BB/Pre, I'll modify my statement that until recently WinMO has really been the only real Smart Phone OS that offers the flexibility that should compliment the Smartphone Moniker. Key word is RECENTLY.

Why is it holding the Diamond back? Because it is buggy. No matter how much you try to polish it, how many cooked ROMs you put on it, it is still buggy. The stock UI is seriously lacking, and lacks innovation. In fact it currently limits implementation of new technology too. Can't support capacitive screens? Come on. Capacitive screens are the next step for finger friendly devices. I really HATE having to bust out a stylus or try to use a finger nail to be accurate on my TP/Diamond. Stuck with a resistive screen that sucks in daylight.... poo.

My bottom line is, from the beginning, IMO, WinMO has been the leader. These days other OS's are legitimate challenges, and really highlight some of WinMo's shortfalls.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Iphone 4s

violent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I love the Diamond, and winmo mostly because I don't feel "locked down". unlike the iphone/Android or others where you are limited on what you can do. As for the 4gb of storage, I could care less mostly cause my phone isn't a music/video player I have an Ipod touch for that stuff.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent31601 View Post
I love the Diamond, and winmo mostly because I don't feel "locked down". unlike the iphone/Android or others where you are limited on what you can do. As for the 4gb of storage, I could care less mostly cause my phone isn't a music/video player I have an Ipod touch for that stuff.
The Iphone is fair to say it's a closed and locked down environment.

Android on the other hand is not so much. It's the most open Mobile OS out there. There is a SDK developer package out there for those third party developers, and you can even install apps outside of the Android market if you so choose. In fact, the Android market has a free app available that makes it easy for the user to do so. That's without having to unlock the bootloader, root the phone, or jailbreak it.

Look into it more, I would say that it is a fairly open platform.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Iphone 4s

violent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
The Iphone is fair to say it's a closed and locked down environment.

Android on the other hand is not so much. It's the most open Mobile OS out there. There is a SDK developer package out there for those third party developers, and you can even install apps outside of the Android market if you so choose. In fact, the Android market has a free app available that makes it easy for the user to do so. That's without having to unlock the bootloader, root the phone, or jailbreak it.

Look into it more, I would say that it is a fairly open platform.
yes your right, and of course you can jailbreak the iphone as well, which opens it up. I just think its alot easier to work with winmo then jailbreaking an iphone or rooting an android phone.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond