PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 06:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

marklyn is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
possible to add an internet website to my Diamond's start menu?

I'd like to add some internet shortcuts to my start menu for stuff like weather radars that I can normally get to by loading opera and using the bookmarks.
Is there any way to set up such a shortcut in the start menu? Then I could use voice command to launch the shortcut and take me right to the site!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Re: possible to add an internet website to my Diamond's start menu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
I'd like to add some internet shortcuts to my start menu for stuff like weather radars that I can normally get to by loading opera and using the bookmarks.
Is there any way to set up such a shortcut in the start menu? Then I could use voice command to launch the shortcut and take me right to the site!
If you are using a 6.5 rom, then yes with titanium weather. radar images are viewable on the home screen. swipe to the right on the titanium weather tab to get the radar page. then you need to set up the radar for your area. here are a couple pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg home screen.jpg (12.1 KB, 18 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg home screen 2.jpg (10.6 KB, 13 views) Click for barcode!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:27 AM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

This isn't too hard to do, but I'm not quite sure how to do it without third party tools. I use Resco File Explorer to make a new shortcut with a target something like:

"\Windows\OperaL.exe" http://www.example.com

You can probably do this with any tool that can modify shortcuts... you can also manually make shortcuts; there are tutorials out on the web, but the procedure is kind of a hassle.

once you have it set up, it works quite well. launches opera if it's not already up... otherwise makes a new tab.

Another option is to make it so that the system favorites open in Opera. That's a bit more involved, but once you do it you can just create a shortcut to any of your favorites in /Windows/Favorites/ and they'll open in opera. (Search for other posts by me if you want to know how to do this -- I'm on my phone right now and can't pimp out my link.)

Finally, if you'd rather open the link in pocket internet explorer (I do this for google voice, since Opera renders it pretty poorly, and PIE does it perfectly), make a shortcut that looks like this, with the relevant info changed:

iexplore.exe http://google.com/voice/m?\Storage Card\Google Voice Icons\googlevoice.dll,-1

(Ignore the bit after the question mark. That's how you get a good icon for your shortcut... an altogether obscenely complicated task.)
Old 06-15-2009, 12:53 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

There is a nice shortcut maker on nuerom.com.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Threadstarter

marklyn is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
This isn't too hard to do, but I'm not quite sure how to do it without third party tools. I use Resco File Explorer to make a new shortcut with a target something like:

"\Windows\OperaL.exe" http://www.example.com

You can probably do this with any tool that can modify shortcuts... you can also manually make shortcuts; there are tutorials out on the web, but the procedure is kind of a hassle.

once you have it set up, it works quite well. launches opera if it's not already up... otherwise makes a new tab.

Another option is to make it so that the system favorites open in Opera. That's a bit more involved, but once you do it you can just create a shortcut to any of your favorites in /Windows/Favorites/ and they'll open in opera. (Search for other posts by me if you want to know how to do this -- I'm on my phone right now and can't pimp out my link.)

Finally, if you'd rather open the link in pocket internet explorer (I do this for google voice, since Opera renders it pretty poorly, and PIE does it perfectly), make a shortcut that looks like this, with the relevant info changed:

iexplore.exe http://google.com/voice/m?\Storage Card\Google Voice Icons\googlevoice.dll,-1

(Ignore the bit after the question mark. That's how you get a good icon for your shortcut... an altogether obscenely complicated task.)
Well I sucessfully created a shortcut for a weather radar site and named it 'radar.lnk' so it works when I tap it but when I use voice command to 'start radar' it won't work that way. Is there something else I need to do to get voice command to launch these links I create?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:21 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

can't really help with that as i almost never use voice command. however, i just tested it out with the google voice shortcut that i posted up there, and it loaded up fine, so... my suggestion would be a soft reset. if that doesn't do it, i don't know, but it can be done.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond