PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Battery Killer (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=53309)

iflog 01-15-2009 11:55 AM

Battery Killer

I just got the Diamond about a week ago and cant keep the battery life for anything. I turn it on at 3:30am. By 7:30am it is down to 70%. By 10:30am its at 20%. I am hardly using the phone except for the occasional phone call because I don't want to deplete the battery before my shift at work is over. Everything is stock on the phone, right out of the box. $600 phone doesn't even come with a car charger either. Go figure.

briggs 01-15-2009 12:24 PM

Re: Battery Killer

flash mighty rom, it'll help.

wmdunn 01-15-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iflog (Post 641870)
I just got the Diamond about a week ago and cant keep the battery life for anything. I turn it on at 3:30am. By 7:30am it is down to 70%. By 10:30am its at 20%. I am hardly using the phone except for the occasional phone call because I don't want to deplete the battery before my shift at work is over. Everything is stock on the phone, right out of the box. $600 phone doesn't even come with a car charger either. Go figure.

Is this your first windows mobile phone? Obviously something is running in the back ground, which is utilizing the battery. If it were me, I would go into your task manager and see what is running, and begin to consistently close them down. Just look around, you'll figure it out. Also, the custom roms available are pretty good at conserving battery life....might want to consider briggs suggestion.

ShawnSoulo 01-15-2009 12:53 PM

Have you fully charged and fully discharged your battery a few times? Battery life tends to be better once you do that.

After doing that myself, I'm getting about two days of battery life (compared to one before).

tobeychris 01-15-2009 01:45 PM

Yet another battery thread....

It's a known problem that the stock phone ROMs are bad on the battery. The best solution for most people is to flash the Telus Radio (in the radio thread) and a custom ROM (as 95% of tweaks are common to almost all of the ROMs).

iflog 01-15-2009 05:23 PM

Its a brand new phone. I don't want to put a custom ROM on it (yet). I did that on my Mogul and it didn't increase the battery life any. I have nothing running in the background except Activesync which I shut down when I start the phone. I fully charged the battery. I was told by a friend that works for Sprint to NOT leave it on charge for more than 2 hours or a full charge, whichever comes first. I used to plug my Mogul in when I got home from work and leave it charging all night. I could get almost 2 days from a full charge with my Mogul. I think I will just get a couple extra batteries to keep with me.

TaylorSPJ 01-15-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iflog (Post 642886)
Its a brand new phone. I don't want to put a custom ROM on it (yet). I did that on my Mogul and it didn't increase the battery life any. I have nothing running in the background except Activesync which I shut down when I start the phone. I fully charged the battery. I was told by a friend that works for Sprint to NOT leave it on charge for more than 2 hours or a full charge, whichever comes first. I used to plug my Mogul in when I got home from work and leave it charging all night. I could get almost 2 days from a full charge with my Mogul. I think I will just get a couple extra batteries to keep with me.

get e registry editor and go to....hklm/drivers/builtin/battery...and changer your pollintreval to 5000. that will dramatically improve your battery life...my diamond's battery last about 60% better then b4.

xTSFx 01-15-2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Good Cat (Post 642909)
get e registry editor and go to....hklm/drivers/builtin/battery...and changer your pollintreval to 5000. that will dramatically improve your battery life...my diamond's battery last about 60% better then b4.

The stock poll interval is 5,000.... I thought it should be changed to 20,000

But mine is set at 25,000. I'm using Confliper's rom

PintozozDIAM 01-15-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Good Cat (Post 642909)

hmm everywhere i read said to change FROM 5000 TO 20000. thats 5, or 20 seconds. thats how often the phone polls the battery to measure battery life. Seems redundant... but the phone checking for battery is actually a huge battery killer. change it to 20000. I did it on mine and I got a bit of a boost. I unplugged my phoneat 10 am and by 5 I was at 60%. with about 40 texts, 5 mins of call, two youtube videos, and nothing else. battery jsut sucks on this phone, no matter the tweaks. kinda regretting leaving my mogul.

Fixup 01-15-2009 07:02 PM

Some programs kill battery, this is not a full list:

Opera
Internet Explorer
QuickGps
Biotouch
OMC
Sensorlock
AlbumSearch
AudioManager
Windows Media Player (even not playing anything)
Garmin

These are good programs that you can let them run without impact on battery:

Jbed java midlet manager (all other midlet managers suck)
Opera Mini
Gmail (older than V2.0)
Xten Lite
ImapPusherService
TomTom (when in background)

Go get the free FdcSoft TaskManager3.1, then you can see which programs are running and using lots of CPU. acbTaskMan can even show the history of CPU usage.

Bottom line: smartphones are always on even when the screen is black. Many programmers do not follow the guidelines of putting their programs into standby mode or use too much polling instead of push and thus use too much CPU and thus battery. You must close those offending programs after each and every use to ensure good battery life.