PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 12:17 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Should I install programs onto the Device or Internal Storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedog1 View Post
Well. I'd have to say that it's not just a preference thing. I, for example, have way more apps than the main memory is able to hold. SO, If you are to load your main memory to the guts, two things will happen. You're ppc WILL slow down due to insufficient memory, and you will get Low memory errors (as many newcomers have described in these forums) when using memory intensive programs such as TomTom.

And about saving your internal storage for mp3's, movies, pics. Sure. But its not like your gonna use 1000mb for your apps. We're talking a 100mb of your 4gb (if you even use that much). It's not like your sacrificing anything to store to your internal. The benefits outweigh the cons since there aren't any.
totaly agree, internal on diamond card on pro
Old 12-23-2008, 02:46 PM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!
Pocket PC: HTC TP Pro 2 (From HTC Touch Diamond)
Carrier: Sprint

lawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to lawmangrant Send a message via MSN to lawmangrant Send a message via Yahoo to lawmangrant Send a message via Skype™ to lawmangrant

I personally install to my card...

The reason, when I flash new roms, the SDConfig can write my links to the programs, and I am not always re-installing.
PLAN:
Everything450, w/ unlimited mobile to mobile[B]

Need Dropbox? Use my referral here!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro - Sprint

chrisaroz is just getting started

So what if I get a larger memory card and want to transfer everything over from the old one. If the reg settings are on the device, I can just copy and paste everything off the old card (using the comp) onto the new one and all the games/programs/pics/etc.. will still work correctly, right?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Iphone 4s

violent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

if you use SPB Backup doesn't it make more sense to install everything possible to device?

I just had to get a hole new phone and used spb backup on everything and when I received my new phone and ran the program, it didn't install the things that were installed to my internal storage
Old 03-06-2009, 06:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3Dâ„¢

Unknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuff

Here's my take on Internal vs. Device.

The main issue here is re-flashing. If you don't do a lot of flashing regularly, then you should just use the internal storage religiously. It doesn't hurt the program or phone in any way, plus you'll be saving the hassle of having to go through the programs and uninstall to install a new one.

If you DO flash regularly, then you're going to want to be picky about what you install to the device and what you install to the internal storage.

But even so, all programs are different in the way they are installed, here's a list of how they can go when you select internal:

- All files go to Internal, only a shortcut gets placed in main memory so that there is an icon to it on the "programs" screen. Possible registry settings.

- MOST files go to Internal, a few system files get put on Main memory(maybe Windows folder, .dll files, etc) Possible registry settings.

- Select Internal, All files go to Main device anyway because they are hard coded to go to device, registry settings are irrelevant in this case.

With all that said it's best to see what happens when you install the program to the internal storage, and then seeing what happens after you flash. If it works, great then you don't have to worry about installing it anymore, maybe you'll just have to put a shortcut so that it appears in the Start Menu -> Programs list.

If it doesn't, maybe there's a simple registry setting or 2 that you can look for when it installs that you might just be able to merge easily when you do a re-flash.

Or, perhaps you can just re-install the app right over the old one on the internal storage, and it will just be able to pull any settings/files automatically and basically pick up where you left off.

An example I'll use here is Manilla Customizer. This app can be installed to internal storage with minimal hassle. Then when you reflash, simply install it right over the internal storage again, and it will still contain all the themes/files from before and you can still use it just as you used it before. But this is one example... other apps will differ.

Just play around with it and see what happens when you install on top of an already existing install.

That's the best I can offer. Hope this helps.

Phone: Sprint HTC EVO 3D
ROM: Synergy Nightly with Own Mods
"If you have the stereo on, why would you turn up the volume on the TV?" 'Cause I like to party
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:13 AM
p2k
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: TELUS

p2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

For me anything that relates to the system goes on the device. ie keyboards, skins, icons, etc... Applications go in external storage.

I use Sashimi so reloading is no big deal.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond