PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 06:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint SERO 500

tracerit is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Should I install programs onto the Device or Internal Storage?

Just curious what everyone else installs on. I thought about installing everything onto the Internal Storage to keep the programs after doing a ROM upgrade, but will that mess with the settings later on?
Old 12-23-2008, 07:18 AM
THE HENCHMAN
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Diamond & Verizon Blackberry Storm!
Carrier: Sprint w/ SERO!

stevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to stevedog1
Re: Should I install programs onto the Device or Internal Storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
Just curious what everyone else installs on. I thought about installing everything onto the Internal Storage to keep the programs after doing a ROM upgrade, but will that mess with the settings later on?
No, thats fine. I do the exact same thing.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:36 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

+1 on my diamond, its almost always internal. unless its a plugin on second today.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: All That Glitters Is Diamonds
Carrier: Sprint

lcyals is becoming a great contributor

+2 Unless it's a Sprint application like Telenav or Sprint TV (I don't use it anymore).
Old 12-23-2008, 10:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

psweitzer is just getting started

I install on Device as much as possible because that way I can save the Internal Storage for music, docs, transferring stuff, etc...

Its just one of those personal preference things...
1st HTC Vogue ( R.I.P. 09/20/2008 )
2nd HTC Vogue found a new owner 12/10/2008!
Current ROM : Caulklin
Radio : Stock Bell
Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Startac --> your phone ---> HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

pjsnyc is keeping up the good workpjsnyc is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to pjsnyc Send a message via AIM to pjsnyc Send a message via MSN to pjsnyc Send a message via Yahoo to pjsnyc Send a message via Skype™ to pjsnyc

I agree with most - its a preference thing. Just make sure to double-check to see if any programs you wish to install NEED to be installed to main memory. I believe some things like Sprint TV among others will not work right if installed to the storage card.

Other than that, the only things I installed on main memory were things that I didnt want messing up at the wrong time such as G-Alarm, the black dialer skin, touchpal, pocketshield (locking program). Everything else I have installed to the storage card (skype, IM programs, games, alternative browsers, etc).
Old 12-23-2008, 11:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: CDMA Diamond
Carrier: MTS

littlerichie29 is just getting started

Correct me if i am wrong, but will your registry settings not be lost after a ROM upgrade, because they are written to main memory? Would this not make installing programs to storage pointless (besides saving space).

For example, I install Coreplayer to internal storage, but it writes to the registry in main memory, and leaves some config files in the Application Data directory. When the ROM is upgraded, those config files are gone, requiring you to re-register the application by reinstalling, and re-writing to the registry. Because my code for Coreplayer is 25 digits, it takes a while to input it again after a rom upgrade.

In short, what i do is export settings if the option is there, and copy config files if they are easily findable to internal storage and copy them back after a ROM upgrade.

I install most items to main memory, except for ones that are larger (TOMTOM, Sprite Backup, etc...)
Old 12-23-2008, 11:59 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerichie29 View Post
Correct me if i am wrong, but will your registry settings not be lost after a ROM upgrade, because they are written to main memory? Would this not make installing programs to storage pointless (besides saving space).

For example, I install Coreplayer to internal storage, but it writes to the registry in main memory, and leaves some config files in the Application Data directory. When the ROM is upgraded, those config files are gone, requiring you to re-register the application by reinstalling, and re-writing to the registry. Because my code for Coreplayer is 25 digits, it takes a while to input it again after a rom upgrade.

In short, what i do is export settings if the option is there, and copy config files if they are easily findable to internal storage and copy them back after a ROM upgrade.

I install most items to main memory, except for ones that are larger (TOMTOM, Sprite Backup, etc...)
correct...any registry changes will be reset upon hard reset/rom upgrade

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!
Old 12-23-2008, 12:09 PM
THE HENCHMAN

stevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIP

Well. I'd have to say that it's not just a preference thing. I, for example, have way more apps than the main memory is able to hold. SO, If you are to load your main memory to the guts, two things will happen. You're ppc WILL slow down due to insufficient memory, and you will get Low memory errors (as many newcomers have described in these forums) when using memory intensive programs such as TomTom.

And about saving your internal storage for mp3's, movies, pics. Sure. But its not like your gonna use 1000mb for your apps. We're talking a 100mb of your 4gb (if you even use that much). It's not like your sacrificing anything to store to your internal. The benefits outweigh the cons since there aren't any.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:16 PM
THE HENCHMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerichie29 View Post
Correct. But they are lost when you save them to you main memory as well.

So, Big difference is:

All you program information will be saved for when you reinstall like:

You Tube logon passwords, Favorites and History.
Opera and IE favorites, and history, and passwords.
Any settings that you have for any program will be stored and ready when you reinstall the programs in the new rom.

And again, it saves you internal memory for apps that HAVE to be installed there, and prevents you from running into possible low memory errors.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond