PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 08:16 PM
No Mo' WinMo :(
Pocket PC: Nexus 7 / Galaxy Note 3 / Droid Ultra
Carrier: Verizon

MrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to silence/mute notification when receiving a text/mms/email using volume key.

First off let me say that this is not the best or most ideal solution (I will explain why later), but it is the best solution that I have figured out so far. If anyone else has a better solution, please let me know.

These are the two programs you will need.

SensorLock
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=422871

AE Button Plus
http://ae.inc.ru/aebplus.php

Now, every phone that I have had in the past you could silence/mute the ring/notification sound when receiving a call, text, mms, or email by simply pressing one of the volume rocker keys on the side. The Diamond (or any other WinMo device) does not do this. If you receive a call and press the volume key, the sound is silenced, however this is not the case when receiving any type of message. I would like to have this because when I am interacting with customers, it would be nice to quickly silence the sound when recieving a text/email. The only solutions I had before this was to use a short alert sound or keep the phone on silent/vibrate.

This is what I have found out. You can silence/mute the sound by pressing the end/red key, but the phone has to be awake. If the phone is asleep, the phone will not register the key press unless you enable the buttons while asleep in Settings>System>Key Lock.

So this is what I am doing, use AE Button Plus to remap a long press of the Up Volume key to be a press of the End/Red button. When an email/text arrives, you can tap the power button to awaken the device, then long press the Up Volume key to silence the ring. Unless you have the above settings change to enable buttons while the phone is asleep, in that case you can just hold the volume key to silence the alert.

SensorLock locks the touchpanel until you perform the gesture to unlock it. So this disables accidental touchpanel presses when you activate the device by tapping the power button.

Now I say is the is not the most ideal solution for two reasons. First is you have to tap the power button to awaken device, and then hold volume key so you are adding a step when compared to other devices. The second is more important, because you are simulating an End/Red key press to silence the sound if you are in another application like Opera, File Explorer, etc and use this to silence and incoming message it will close the application you are in. This is not too big of a deal for me because like I said I would like this option for when I am interacting with customers. During those times I am not on Opera or another application, but I can see how this could affect someone else.

So there you go, again not the most ideal solution but the best I have figured out so far. If someone knows something better, let me know I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond