PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 10:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

tcatnat is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Diamond Died, RIP

I have a question. Last night my Diamond died and nothing I did could revive it. It boots to the Windows Mobile start screen (the green one) and freezes there. I cannot even hard reset. Good thing for warranties.

My question is, I have a recent backup but I only back up the main memory. I have a bunch of apps installed to the internal 4GB storage. What happens to those apps if I restore my backup? Basically what I'm wondering is if you install an app to the internal storage does it place nay files in the main memory? The last thing I want to do is restore partial apps and have a total file mess on my new device when it comes.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

majorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmajorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmajorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmajorassface is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Diamond Died, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcatnat View Post
I have a question. Last night my Diamond died and nothing I did could revive it. It boots to the Windows Mobile start screen (the green one) and freezes there. I cannot even hard reset. Good thing for warranties.

My question is, I have a recent backup but I only back up the main memory. I have a bunch of apps installed to the internal 4GB storage. What happens to those apps if I restore my backup? Basically what I'm wondering is if you install an app to the internal storage does it place nay files in the main memory? The last thing I want to do is restore partial apps and have a total file mess on my new device when it comes.
If you only backup the main memory any progs/apps you install to the internal storage will no longer work. When installing to internal memory there are files created in the main for shortcuts and any registry entries. You will have to re-install anything on internal storage to get it working again. Hope this helps!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Diamond, Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

mixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:

depending on what type of application you can, sometimes some files do go on the main memory of the phone regardless of if u install it to the internal storage. i hope that answers your question.

which app r u talking about specifically?

Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:

Hey, not sure if this will help but I had this happen twice to me. All I did was take the battery out and wait 5 minutes. It should get past the green screen then. Its worth a shot.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

vincemash is keeping up the good workvincemash is keeping up the good work

Quote:

This happened to me last month, here is what fixed it, do each step in order:

Turn off the phone
Press and hold volume down button
Press and hold center circle button
Press and hold Power button

keep holding in all 3 buttons until you get the white hard reset message where it tells you to hit volume up button to hard reset (your 4gb internal storage will not be erased)

see if that works for you

Last edited by vincemash; 12-05-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks all for the input. I did remove the battery for about 10 minutes ro so and still no luck.

As for the apps on internal storage. To be honest I cannot even remember which ones I installed there. I usually try to install to the internal storage unless the app requires it to go into the main memory. I think I may just start over fresh since i don't want to cripple the replacement. I had a feeling that something was placed into main memory regardless of where you install.

I'm assuming I'll just get broken link messages for the missing apps, correct.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincemas View Post
This happened to me last month, here is what fixed it, do each step in order:

Turn off the phone
Press and hold volume down button
Press and hold center circle button
Press and hold Power button

keep holding in all 3 buttons until you get the white hard reset message where it tells you to hit volume up button to hard reset (your 4gb internal storage will not be erased)

see if that works for you
Thanks, that worked and got me to a clean device but now when I restore my backup I get a critical memory error. Memory is critically low. I have never had that in the past.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond Professional Edition

nolimitzr1 is a n00b

redo the hard reset I had this happen when battery was low during intial customizations and fudged it up i had no free mem period so i tried again if that dont work then u may have bad chip onboard
Old 12-05-2008, 02:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I think the culprit may have been some bogus Sprite backup files. every time it tried to restore those backups the device would crash. Did the reset and starting to install from scratch. What a pain, so much for backup software.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Also remember some times hardreset losing the internal storage. When that happens you need to format the storage via the computer... so if you're trying to restore and there is no internal storage card you'll run low on memory. There is also a fix available on HTC site.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond