PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 05:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: pre
Carrier: sprint

tri0xinn is keeping up the good worktri0xinn is keeping up the good worktri0xinn is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
touch/vogue to Diamond upgrade

So I read a few reviews but before I drop a few hundred for the upgrade I just want to get some opinions. Would mostly appreciate people who have gone from the last gen touch/vogue to the diamond..

1. Does it seem any peppier? The vogue is ok but slightly sluggish.. did you notice the diamond is quicker starting and switching between programs?

2. Screen... I use slingplayer and sprint tv quite a bit.. did the the speed and smoothness/sharpness of the video noticeably improve because of the faster cpu and higher res screen?

3. I use Kinoma play daily.. almost hourly.. I had read that kinoma wasn't optimized for the diamond... not sure what this meant but also read a couple of other similar posts.. anyone have experience with kinoma on diamond?

I would really appreciate feedback on these questions.
thanks
Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Diamond, Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

mixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: touch/vogue to Diamond upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri0xinn View Post
So I read a few reviews but before I drop a few hundred for the upgrade I just want to get some opinions. Would mostly appreciate people who have gone from the last gen touch/vogue to the diamond..

1. Does it seem any peppier? The vogue is ok but slightly sluggish.. did you notice the diamond is quicker starting and switching between programs?

2. Screen... I use slingplayer and sprint tv quite a bit.. did the the speed and smoothness/sharpness of the video noticeably improve because of the faster cpu and higher res screen?

3. I use Kinoma play daily.. almost hourly.. I had read that kinoma wasn't optimized for the diamond... not sure what this meant but also read a couple of other similar posts.. anyone have experience with kinoma on diamond?

I would really appreciate feedback on these questions.
thanks
1. yes it is a lot more "peppier". programs run faster, launch faster, less hangups, and overall the build is a lot better. Everything runs smother.

2. i use sling as well, i work for sling media. the new sling player works MUCH better on the diamond, much smoother and the quality is definetly better since its a vga screen, but it also depends on ur upload connection. if u want THE BEST picture, think about the sling box hd.

3.im not too sure about kinoma since i dont use it, but if its not optimized for the diamond, im sure that if works changes can be made to optimize it, and with our great community, help is close by. =)

Old 12-03-2008, 12:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: n/a
Carrier: n/a

Charles@Kinoma is keeping up the good workCharles@Kinoma is keeping up the good workCharles@Kinoma is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri0xinn View Post
I use Kinoma play daily.. almost hourly.. I had read that kinoma wasn't optimized for the diamond... not sure what this meant but also read a couple of other similar posts.. anyone have experience with kinoma on diamond?
Kinoma Play has always worked great on the Diamond.

I think what they were referring to was that, on VGA+ screens, we used to scale parts of the UI as a method of keeping the UI super-fast on super-hi-res screens. That could make the UI seem a bit fuzzy compared to other apps.

However, that's now history. As of the last update, Kinoma Play’s user interface now uses the full, native resolution of all phones.

http://blog.kinoma.com/2008/12/a-new...lity-and-more/

-- Charles Wiltgen
Old 12-03-2008, 01:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: pre
Threadstarter

tri0xinn is keeping up the good worktri0xinn is keeping up the good worktri0xinn is keeping up the good work

Thanks alot for the replies. These were just the answers I was hoping to hear.. can't wait to upgrade now.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: pre, diamond

kellybrf is becoming a great contributor

dont know about kinoma (or what it is, haha) but the diamond is significantly better than the vogue in every single way. sling is nasty
Old 12-03-2008, 02:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc hero

jpeepers is becoming a great contributor

I just upgraded last week from the touch to the Diamond and could not be more disappointed.

It's a beautiful phone, faster then the Touch, nicer screen, Wi-Fi. but all that is useless if the phone will not last through the day. The battery life is HORRIBLE! Worst WM phone I have ever owned.

My phone was on the charger all night. Took it off at 8:30 this morning and have made 3, 10 minute phone calls, Surfed RSS for about 15 minutes, Have received about 10 emails via exchange server. It's now 1:30 and the phone is about to die. Completely unacceptable in my book. My Touch would go all day with three times the use.
I guarantee if you are using Kinoma every hour that it will be dead by noon.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

nttdemented is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnttdemented is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnttdemented is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnttdemented is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeepers View Post
I just upgraded last week from the touch to the Diamond and could not be more disappointed.

It's a beautiful phone, faster then the Touch, nicer screen, Wi-Fi. but all that is useless if the phone will not last through the day. The battery life is HORRIBLE! Worst WM phone I have ever owned.

My phone was on the charger all night. Took it off at 8:30 this morning and have made 3, 10 minute phone calls, Surfed RSS for about 15 minutes, Have received about 10 emails via exchange server. It's now 1:30 and the phone is about to die. Completely unacceptable in my book. My Touch would go all day with three times the use.
I guarantee if you are using Kinoma every hour that it will be dead by noon.
You should really look into the Custom ROM world. My diamond used to behave like this but after using and building my own custom ROMs with lots of good battery life improving updates and changing the stock sprint radio for the verizon touch pro radio my Diamond can go through the day with a lot of abuse. I have mine synching with exchange as items arrive (and I receive a LOT of e-mail daily), my phone doesn't stop ringing between 9am and 6pm and I regularly use my browser to log into web services using VPN connections (many of the servers and devices I manage use web applications for administration). I unplug from the charger at 8am and it's battery lies at around 20% at the end of my work day. This is when I never plug it in to charge in the office. Most of the time I am nearby a charger and I also have a 2nd battery but I'd just like to post this to let the OP know that this particular battery issue has been solved. You just have to step into the custom ROM world.

And in contrast, I think this is THE BEST WM phone that has ever been produced. Second only to the Touch PRO if you really need the hardware keyboard and expandable memory.

Last edited by nttdemented; 12-03-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc hero

jpeepers is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nttdemented View Post
You should really look into the Custom ROM world. My diamond used to behave like this but after using and building my own custom ROMs with lots of good battery life improving updates and changing the stock sprint radio for the verizon touch pro radio my Diamond can go through the day with a lot of abuse. I have mine synching with exchange as items arrive (and I receive a LOT of e-mail daily), my phone doesn't stop ringing between 9am and 6pm and I regularly use my browser to log into web services using VPN connections (many of the servers and devices I manage use web applications for administration). I unplug from the charger at 8am and it's battery lies at around 20% at the end of my work day. This is when I never plug it in to charge in the office. Most of the time I am nearby a charger and I also have a 2nd battery but I'd just like to post this to let the OP know that this particular battery issue has been solved. You just have to step into the custom ROM world.

And in contrast, I think this is THE BEST WM phone that has ever been produced. Second only to the Touch PRO if you really need the hardware keyboard and expandable memory.
Forgot to mention I'm using Mighty's latest ROM and battery life still stinks compared to my Touch.

Don't get me wrong it's a great phone but what good is it if it's dead by noon?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

iamjasonc is just getting started

My battery life sucked too when I first got the phone but it's actually gotten better the longer i've had it. I can go almost 2 days without charging now. Granted I'm not a power user, but I do my fair share of texting, music, video, and email too.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: pre, diamond

kellybrf is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeepers View Post
Forgot to mention I'm using Mighty's latest ROM and battery life still stinks compared to my Touch.

Don't get me wrong it's a great phone but what good is it if it's dead by noon?

if youre using a custom rom and its dead by noon youre doing something wrong. by the end of the day im usually at 40-60%. battery life, even stock, is much better than the touch

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond