PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 06:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Cricket

dcperdue is keeping up the good workdcperdue is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to dcperdue
Buying off ebay or craigs list warning!!!

Well its official I just posted how great the new radio was and how I was having some problems with the phone.

Well I just had a visit from the local police department. It seems for the past week or so even after changing my esn they were still able to track the phone I suspected as stolen or some type of fraud associated with it.

They took my phone and told me it was evidence against the person I bought it from. I asked them how do I get my money back and their answer was. "you should not buy phones off ebay or craigslist"

So I guess im out my money and they might even call me as a witness. So looks like im going to best buy and getting another diamond by paying the $700 bucks. Because I dont want to use sprint and dont want a contract.

So the moral of this story is no matter how good of deal you think your getting from somone on ebay or craigs list it will come back and bite you in the ***.

Oh and I just got off the phone with my company attorney because they were saying its illeagle to clone esn's and he told me if the phone your cloning is yours and the phone your cloning too is yours it is not illeagle. He sent me a link to download the digital mil copyright act and there is 50 pages just about cell phones covered in it.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

avhokie is a n00b
Re: Buying off ebay or craigs list warning!!!

Hmmm...so you bought a second hand phone. You called up and activated the phone (by giving Sprint the ESN). The phone was not flagged? Did the ESN in the software match the one on the label?
Old 11-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

mattaspira is a n00b

Cloning is illegal however you look at it, however if you use it for personal use like two phones you own and pay for usage on nobody really cares.

Buying phones off ebay is somewhat safe as long as you know what you're doing and know how to buy correctly. And that is not to buy from people with no feedback.

Either way I'm pretty sure you could get your money back if the user is still active on ebay and or it was within 30 days to dispute it with paypal.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TOuch Diamond

curtis102 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to curtis102

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcperdue View Post
Well its official I just posted how great the new radio was and how I was having some problems with the phone.

Well I just had a visit from the local police department. It seems for the past week or so even after changing my esn they were still able to track the phone I suspected as stolen or some type of fraud associated with it.

They took my phone and told me it was evidence against the person I bought it from. I asked them how do I get my money back and their answer was. "you should not buy phones off ebay or craigslist"

So I guess im out my money and they might even call me as a witness. So looks like im going to best buy and getting another diamond by paying the $700 bucks. Because I dont want to use sprint and dont want a contract.

So the moral of this story is no matter how good of deal you think your getting from somone on ebay or craigs list it will come back and bite you in the ***.

Oh and I just got off the phone with my company attorney because they were saying its illeagle to clone esn's and he told me if the phone your cloning is yours and the phone your cloning too is yours it is not illeagle. He sent me a link to download the digital mil copyright act and there is 50 pages just about cell phones covered in it.
hey can you forward me that link. i work in wireless thanks
Old 11-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

uhh 2 questions

1. What does cloning have to do at all with buying a phone off ebay that police took as evidence?

2. Why the heck would you go to Best Buy and pay $700 for a Diamond instead of pay full price at the Sprint store for $529 without a contract?

And id fire whatever lawyer you have, or theyre just pretty poor at it, if you cannot file a personal claim against the seller to recover the money.

Last edited by SprintTouch08; 11-26-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Cricket
Threadstarter

dcperdue is keeping up the good workdcperdue is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to dcperdue

Actualy it was cheaper best buy told me 700 on the phone.

I got a diamond under contract for the $240 or so bucks. Activated and then told them I want to cancel the service and paid another 150 bucks. Problem solved.

Also to0g just handed me a link to his cricket rom in case anyone wants it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AJ4EXAP3
Old 11-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Daimond (Telus)
Carrier: Telus

DC84 is a n00b

If it is a Telus phone. They only lock it in the system for 3 months if its reported lost or stolen...
Old 11-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

i feel your pain.but i bought 2 phones off ebay within the past year.my treo went without a hitch.my touch came with all the accessories but no phone.after disputing the purchase,the seller had to send what i purchased or paypal was going to refund all of my money.so i just want people to know that as far as ebay,check the seller's feedback.anything 90% and over is who you want to deal with and never deal with anyone who doesn't use paypal.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond