PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 08:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Suz416 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Questions from a n00b.

Hi gang.. wow, what a wealth of knowledge here at PPCGeeks.. I've come from another couple of message boards where people have been nothing short of rude and hateful with new people, so I sure hope that doesn't happen here as I'm thrilled to have found you all
I'm a long time Palm OS lover. Well, I'm embarr***** to say how long I've held on to my TREO's and now my Centro just to really and truly find out what I've been missing.. A friend of mine *you know who you are and thank you* has loaned me an HTC Diamond to play with and I love it! I'm so excited with all the possibilities and shocked about how much I can do with this unit. (I'm still forcing myself to adjust to the software keyboard. My nails tend to slip around on the keys so it's quite an adjustment) Anyway! I was hoping to post some of the things that I have questions about and the answers that I've found via search function (this I've learned from people being berated on other forums for seeminly NOT having searched for answers before hand) and I'd love if anyone could tell me if the scenarios are best case for the unit. I consider myself a heavy user of TEXT and EMAIL, so I'll start there.....

1.) Texting I have figured out. I found the settings once for the text size but I can't refind it. Which setting is it that sets the text size on text messages and the web pages you visit? Seems pretty basic but are there any apps (or whatever you WM'ers call your programs) to enhance text messaging? A note about keyboards: I'm flying with T9 but it makes me crazy when it pulls up the wrong word and I miss the mistake - I've loaded RESCO keyboard but it doesn't come up - there's probably a setting I've missed? I haven't tried any other keyboards yet.....

2.) Email. Ok, I don't have an Exchange server, and I don't [honestly] even know what it is, but I need/want PUSH mail. I've been using Chatteremail and Fastmail as a PUSH solution on the Centro, and am looking for something similar for the Diamond. What I've tried: HOTMAIL - yeah this is fine, but this isn't the address I use primarily; I'm looking to get Gmail to push to my phone. I'm also looking for an option for my Fastmail account. I have tried SEVEN, but since I installed it, I've gotten a couple of freezes for no reason. There's not much else on the device (gyrator and phone alarm) so I feel like that might be causing the problem (seven). That leads to another question, do I have to launch SEVEN and then keep it open in the task manager for it to work properly? I have my Centro receiving the same mail account and my mail arrives on the Centro before it arrives on the Diamond so SEVEN is probably slower in this respect. I have a habit of checking the task manager often because I have read about poor battery life and running too many apps, so I'm a little obsessed with closing things to make sure the phone runs as efficiently as possible. I've seen Emansio (?), and Profimail (?) and mail2web. Can someone explain to me how mail2web works and what it's doing? Is someone able to read our mail in that situation?

3.) Ok, basic, everyday use....... gah! I'm struggling to learn and switch over, rather than just grab my Centro and walk away! I love the Diamond and desperately want to be able to keep it! (I need a solution to get my contacts from the palm to outlook because my contact sync fails everytime, so any advice on that would be super!)

4.) Gyrator......ok, I've seen the YouTube tutorials but my screen keeps turning when I don't mean for it to

5.) How do you remove programs that you've installed but don't want to keep? I thought I saw something that was similar to how you uninstall things on my PC, but I can't refind it

6.) If I do a "clear storage" (to send this back to my friend), what does that leave behind? I've put passwords in, etc, and although I completely trust him, I just don't want to leave any cooties behind

7.) I've checked the boxes in what to show on my home screen over and over and they don't seem to "stick". I wanted to put Live on the front screen and calendar and a few other things - everytime I did it, I'd check and they weren't on the home screen. That leads me to themes..... How fun. I have no idea how to get those, where to save them, and then how to find them once I save them!

8.) When you download something..... I see it listed with a down arrow next to it, but sometimes it just sits there on some files. I know they could be bigger files, etc.. but how do you know when it's done? Also, do you choose to OPEN or SAVE? I usually just say OPEN because I don't want to clog up the device with junk....is that ok? (I figured out all on my own that you use CAB files, which are the same as PRC for Palm, right? go me.) Once a file is done and asks you if you want to download it, do you choose Device or INTERNAL memory and how do you know which to put where? I know some programs need to be in the device to work properly on PALM, is the same true with WM?

These are a few q's to get me started.. after a couple of days of playing. I'm sure someone will be gracious enough to help a girl out.....then I'll have a ton more once I get it away from my husband long enough to remember the rest of my questions. LOL!
Old 11-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

abovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abovelegit Send a message via MSN to abovelegit
Re: Questions from a n00b.

4. Gryator consumes much more battery also, I sugguest long press send key for screen rotation
5. Go to Start>Settings>Remove Program
6. Hard reset is the term. It will earase all personal stuff like contacts, and messages, it will however keep the service aswell as pictures etc
7. To put Live etc on the home screen you must turn off TF3D. You can find themes here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ighlight=Djoub <- Thats one theme, just go to application and themes on top.
8. You can cjose open or save, just ike a PC. The down arrow means you should manually start the download by pressing the left soft key then start or resume download.Also hitting open saves it in a temp folder. You can save anything where ever, and SOME (very little) programs do need to be put on device. Just uninstall if it doesn't work on internal storage and reinstall on device.
Work on makin your posts shorter,
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Suz416 is a n00b

I talk a lot, what can I say.
I just removed Gyrator, but "long press send key" doesn't rotate my screen, it brings up a microphone in my top bar.

Didn't know that I couldn't use TF3D with those other things, thanks for that.

Any ideas for my mail situation?

Short enough?
Old 11-15-2008, 08:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus- Mighty ROM 4.7

Jordan88 is becoming a great contributor

Hey, i am relatively new here (still less than a month) and you are right, there is a wealth of knowledge here and most people are happy to share (if you have used the search function first haha). Sometimes using that though brings up as many questions as it answers, so i'll try to help you out with what i know so far.

1) Test size: settings>screen>text size. There is a keyboard that you can download that makes so when you push a button, instead of just enlarging the keyboard it displays the pressed key above where your finger is so i you can actually see it. Unfortunately i just came across it earlier today in the forums and can't remember where, if i find it i'll post the link. Other than that i am not really sure if any others than the one you've mentioned.

2) Sorry, i can't really help here

3) I really only know about PIM backup, however i don't know if it has cross-device functionality. If they have a PALM version you could give it a go, it just creates a file that you can restore contacts etc. from. Other than that i can only think of doing it via syncing PALM with computer, and then doing it with the Diamond (is this what you were referring to when contact sync failed?)

4)Some programs rotate automatically such as the picture viewer and opera, but the 3rd party program requires you to press and hold the send key. I don't know which you are referring to.

5) settings>remove programs

6) "Clear storage" is essentially the same as a hard reset. It erases EVERYTHING that you have added from the MAIN storage (not the internal 4gb, it leaves this intact) and replaces it with everything default. "Format Internal Storage" erases EVERYTHING from the 4gb internal storage. Finally, "Clear storage and format internal storage" does both of these, erasing anything you've added to the phone and putting it back to the stock ROM settings. This means it will be the same as the day you bought it you haven't replaced the rom, or will be he default as set by the cooked rom (ex. Juicy ROM or MightyStable ROM)

7) Those boxes that you are checking for the home screen are for the Windows home screen, not TF3D, which is the program with all the tabs. If you uncheck TF3D from that same section, it will turn it off and replace it with a very simple Windows home screen with all the other options who have checked.

Choose open if you just want to run whatever the file is, save if you want to keep the file for future use (either works, it is just a matter of do you want it to take up space). Most people advise to install to the internal memory, because that is the 4gbs, but yes, some programs need to be installed to the Device although it will usually tell you when this is the case.

I know i wasn't able to answer everything, but i hope some of that was able to help you.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Almost a VIP

abovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Long press send key is defaulted to voice recognition, go toStar>Setting>buttons to change. No clue about your mail situation I use hotmail without push.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Almost a VIP

Heres how it looks after you install a theme.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Suz416 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovelegit View Post
Long press send key is defaulted to voice recognition, go toStar>Setting>buttons to change. No clue about your mail situation I use hotmail without push.
Which program do I choose for the screen rotation? I don't see anything that even looks like it........
Old 11-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suz416 View Post
Which program do I choose for the screen rotation? I don't see anything that even looks like it........
Might be an option only on Juicy's ROMs, sorry.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Suz416 is a n00b

Oh ok. Thanks. I don't even care to start Flashing Roms even when it's my own device..... too complicated! Thank you though.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Almost a VIP

Actually its really easy. But to each his own I guess.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond