PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Desire
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

apaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PLEASE HELP..... Is Telus's HTC Desire CDMA or GSM????

I have been looking here and on other sites on the net and i am finding conflicting answers on whether or not Telus's version of the HTC Desire is GSM or CDMA??? from what i gather, ppl on this site seem to say its GSM but on this site that i found ====>>>HERE <<<==== , they seem to say it is a CDMA phone... well my Telus Touch Pro2 was CDMA, but i dont know if that matters.. anyways if u go to the link above and read the post there, you will see that the person there describes the exact problem that i had happen to me when I tried to root my telus htc desire.

Basically in short, when i rooted my phone, it said it worked fine and i even had the superuser icon, but after trying to install a couple things that required a rooted phone, it said on screen that it "could not find the root", so i tried re-rooting the phone and just like the person in the link above, my phone locked up during boot, at the white screen with the green HTC, and would not go past and would just do a continuous reboot and and freeze and repeat.... well luckly i did a backup before i started and after a full restore my phone was all good to go.....

So im kinda stuck.... and need you guy for help!!! I need to figure out what type of BAND is my telus Htc Desire is first....GSM or CDMA??? and then I need to try to figure out what can be done to root it if possible, so if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated !!! Thanks a lot!!!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Desire (CDMA)
Carrier: US Cellular

heavymetalmage is just getting started
Re: PLEASE HELP..... Is Telus's HTC Desire CDMA or GSM????

It's GSM. But to confirm, power off your phone and then power it on while holding vol down. Up at the top it should say "BRAVO" if it is gsm and "BRAVOC" if it is CDMA.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

apaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuffapaquette0069 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetalmage View Post
It's GSM. But to confirm, power off your phone and then power it on while holding vol down. Up at the top it should say "BRAVO" if it is gsm and "BRAVOC" if it is CDMA.
thank you for the fast reply, i used the steps found in this post HERE , i fallowed the steps to a "T" and and dont know why it failed at boot although i was able to fix that prob and get past. do u have any ideas on why it wont let me install items that require a rooted phone? thanks again

in the boot loader it says

BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-ON (So this means its GSM)
HBOOT-0.92.0001
MICROP-051d
TOUCH PANEL-SYNW0101
RADIO-5.11.05.27

Not sure if this helps.

update* so i just tried to install 2 files, one was a battery icon and the other was a keyboard mod through the clockworkmod(black screen with green writing ), after i did a reboot the phone went into a continuous loop rebooting just after it says "HTC Quietly Brilliant", i am starting to think that the "root" did not work.. if anyone can please tell me what i am doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated ... thank you very much

*edit.... Do i need to flash a custom rom to be able to install these things? because all i did was root it, i haven't flashed a new rom yet, i am still on the stock telus rom... i am kinda scared to flash in fear that i will brick because i dont have a full understanding of what i am doing!!! lol

Last edited by apaquette0069; 11-12-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Desire (CDMA)
Carrier: US Cellular

heavymetalmage is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaquette0069 View Post
thank you for the fast reply, i used the steps found in this post HERE , i fallowed the steps to a "T" and and dont know why it failed at boot although i was able to fix that prob and get past. do u have any ideas on why it wont let me install items that require a rooted phone? thanks again

in the boot loader it says

BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-ON (So this means its GSM)
HBOOT-0.92.0001
MICROP-051d
TOUCH PANEL-SYNW0101
RADIO-5.11.05.27

Not sure if this helps.

update* so i just tried to install 2 files, one was a battery icon and the other was a keyboard mod through the clockworkmod(black screen with green writing ), after i did a reboot the phone went into a continuous loop rebooting just after it says "HTC Quietly Brilliant", i am starting to think that the "root" did not work.. if anyone can please tell me what i am doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated ... thank you very much

*edit.... Do i need to flash a custom rom to be able to install these things? because all i did was root it, i haven't flashed a new rom yet, i am still on the stock telus rom... i am kinda scared to flash in fear that i will brick because i dont have a full understanding of what i am doing!!! lol
My guess is that the mods aren't compatible with a sense ROM (aka your stock ROM) I would probably flash a custom ROM, making sure to do a backup first. If you have clockworkmod recovery, then you are definitely rooted (also check for superuser app.)
Old 11-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetalmage View Post
My guess is that the mods aren't compatible with a sense ROM (aka your stock ROM) I would probably flash a custom ROM, making sure to do a backup first. If you have clockworkmod recovery, then you are definitely rooted (also check for superuser app.)

thanks for the help.... turns out that u are right.... some of the things i was installing were not compatible with the stock rom that i was running.... i flashed a rom and the files work just fine now!!! thanks for the help guys
Old 11-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC desire

mcp2k is a n00b

The Network for the HTC Desire in Quebec is HSPA a new High speed connection, maybe it helped you!!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Desire