PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Desire

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 10:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro II
Carrier: Telus

Tweak_four17 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rooting question..

Does anyone know if rooting a Telus Desire is the same as rooting a european one or are there differences? Also, can't wait until some of our local chefs start cooking up some droid roms..I'm looking at you Mighty
Old 08-10-2010, 04:38 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: USCC

Scenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Rooting question..

That is a good question. Coming from Windows Mobile, I would guess that it is different on a CDMA device. However, I could be completely off base here. I suggest looking at another Android device that has both a GSM and CDMA version and see what the rooting thread says.

As for custom ROMs on the CDMA Desire, I hope Mike gets his soon as I should have mine in a couple of weeks!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus Mobility

MightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation level

Desire is HSPA/GSM for the Telus Network.

and yes, I have my desire
Old 08-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Retired Staff

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Its not the same method as it's not a AMOLED screen its SLCD.

You need to use a recovery image that supports SLCD

Ill get a tut up and the files needed later next week.

Looks like the CDMA desire guys will be at a loss for us Canadian chefs with our GSM devices...

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro II
Threadstarter

Tweak_four17 is becoming a great contributor

sounds great! Thanks X, can't wait to see what gets cooked up!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

bobbenedetti is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
Its not the same method as it's not a AMOLED screen its SLCD.

You need to use a recovery image that supports SLCD

Ill get a tut up and the files needed later next week.

Looks like the CDMA desire guys will be at a loss for us Canadian chefs with our GSM devices...
The files and method at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=748618 worked on my Telus Desire..The whole process took about 5 minutes once I downloaded the files. and no scary 10-15 minutes on black screen if you try it without the clockwork upgrade.
Note: On step 3 if you have not installed HTC Sync, you must install it then uninstall it in order to get the HTC driver installer
Now to pick a suitable Froyo build. I really wish OMJ had a Desire instead of an EVO
Old 08-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Retired Staff

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbenedetti View Post
The files and method at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=748618 worked on my Telus Desire..The whole process took about 5 minutes once I downloaded the files. and no scary 10-15 minutes on black screen if you try it without the clockwork upgrade.
Note: On step 3 if you have not installed HTC Sync, you must install it then uninstall it in order to get the HTC driver installer
Now to pick a suitable Froyo build. I really wish OMJ had a Desire instead of an EVO
That method is a bunch of BS that is not needed. I rooted in 2 min with no black screen working fine.

Ill write it up when i have time
Old 08-13-2010, 01:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
That method is a bunch of BS that is not needed. I rooted in 2 min with no black screen working fine.

Ill write it up when i have time
I don't know why you consider a method that works in basically one step without the need of a GOLDCARD or farting around with Linux BS
The instructions are pretty straightforward and the only step that requires a bit of computer knowledge is the installation of the driver and if you can't do that you shouldn't be rooting a phone.
I look forward to seeing your non BS method but, until you find time to write your method up others can at least use the one I suggested from XDA developers
Old 08-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbenedetti View Post
I don't know why you consider a method that works in basically one step without the need of a GOLDCARD or farting around with Linux BS
The instructions are pretty straightforward and the only step that requires a bit of computer knowledge is the installation of the driver and if you can't do that you shouldn't be rooting a phone.
I look forward to seeing your non BS method but, until you find time to write your method up others can at least use the one I suggested from XDA developers
LOL my bad, thats the no bs method, i had more then a few tabs open thought you linked to the one that was a bunch of hoop jumping
Old 08-13-2010, 03:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
LOL my bad, thats the no bs method, i had more then a few tabs open thought you linked to the one that was a bunch of hoop jumping
I've done that. Easy to do when you have a lot of wondows open. No harm done here but I can think of at least one occasion where I did it and it was really embarassing

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Desire