PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gjhuff is just getting started
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Tethering on the Arrive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliborn View Post
The Arrive was never intended to be an upgrade for the TP2. It is a completely new OS. Obviously you haven't read too much about this, have you?
Let's see - WM 6.5 - Windows Phone 7. HTC Touch Pro 2 - HTC Arrive - same screen size, pretty much the same keyboard. Just like Windows 3.1 - Windows 95 - Windows Millenium - Windows XP - Windows Vista and Windows 7 weren't upgrades - right? Why has Sprint been sending me e-mails suggesting I upgrade my TP2 with the Arrive?

Anytime a vendor puts out a new phone to replace an old one it is an upgrade. To pretend otherwise is facetious. Will MS keep supporting WM 6.5? I think not. The company made a conscious decision to "dumb down" the software to prevent customization and other features - to force customers to buy MS - just like Apple does with the Iphone. Ballmer has been quoted as saying WM 6.5 supports a phone inside a computer, but W7 supports a computer inside a phone. That is MS's right to do and your right to like - just as it is my right and apparently many other WM 6.5 users' right to dislike.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
The Arrive was never intended to be an upgrade for the TP2. It is a completely new OS. Obviously you haven't read too much about this, have you?
if you owned a tp2 then yes it "should be" a upgrade is all he was saying, not a official upgrade but you would think you could tether by now.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhuff View Post
Let's see - WM 6.5 - Windows Phone 7. HTC Touch Pro 2 - HTC Arrive - same screen size, pretty much the same keyboard. Just like Windows 3.1 - Windows 95 - Windows Millenium - Windows XP - Windows Vista and Windows 7 weren't upgrades - right? Why has Sprint been sending me e-mails suggesting I upgrade my TP2 with the Arrive?

Anytime a vendor puts out a new phone to replace an old one it is an upgrade. To pretend otherwise is facetious. Will MS keep supporting WM 6.5? I think not. The company made a conscious decision to "dumb down" the software to prevent customization and other features - to force customers to buy MS - just like Apple does with the Iphone. Ballmer has been quoted as saying WM 6.5 supports a phone inside a computer, but W7 supports a computer inside a phone. That is MS's right to do and your right to like - just as it is my right and apparently many other WM 6.5 users' right to dislike.
best post i have seen yet in wp7 forums.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:

I don't feel that way. as said there's maybe only a couple things at best that I miss from wm6.x and I found a way to live without them and workaround them. to say that one is being "forced" to buy MS is really a fallacy
one is NOT FORCED to buy anything u can choose the rhapsody or grooveshark service instead of the Zune service if u want but it won't be as good and all are cheaper and have more functionality iTune$. I didn't even read the rest of these posts here but why bother? its just a bunch of negativity towards MS and WP7 over tethering. you guys seriously need to get over yourselves no OS on the market currently or previously has had a free tethering method out of the box and without exploits. can't wait till carriers start busting people for doing exactly this and I'll be laughing my @$$ off.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
I don't feel that way. as said there's maybe only a couple things at best that I miss from wm6.x and I found a way to live without them and workaround them. to say that one is being "forced" to buy MS is really a fallacy
one is NOT FORCED to buy anything u can choose the rhapsody or grooveshark service instead of the Zune service if u want but it won't be as good and all are cheaper and have more functionality iTune$. I didn't even read the rest of these posts here but why bother? its just a bunch of negativity towards MS and WP7 over tethering. you guys seriously need to get over yourselves no OS on the market currently or previously has had a free tethering method out of the box and without exploits. can't wait till carriers start busting people for doing exactly this and I'll be laughing my @$$ off.
tmobile has free tethering on my girlfriends completely stock unmodified Nexus One with a regular $60 a month plan. She tethers an iPhone all the time and tmobile has never contacted her once about it.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 PM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
Glad that we can be a source of humor to you, but I would suggest you get out more. <g> This discussion is really more about what is important to particular users than what the phones can or can't do. I, for one, don't listen to music or watch videos on my phone - the screen is far too small for my poor eyes. But if music is important to you, then I can see the benefit of Zune.

On tethering, I've used it for over ten years. Every phone I've had during the period could do it "out of the box." Sometimes I paid extra, sometimes I didn't since it was already in my plan. Whether it was free or not has not been a consideration - the speed has been too slow to do anything but e-mail, audio streaming and simple browsing. For MS and HTC to produce a new phone without this capability is news.

One more thing, I and others here like MS - we've been using it for years on PCs and phones. If we didn't care, we wouldn't be posting here in perhaps a vain hope that someone will be listening and will fix our issues. Otherwise, we'd just be jumping to Android.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

then u need to post this over at MS answers where u can be heard. no MS reps come here I don't think
Old 04-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

caliborn is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

How about we take a little at a time here

Quote:
Let's see - WM 6.5 - Windows Phone 7.
Same company…different OSes…no comparison

Quote:
HTC Touch Pro 2 - HTC Arrive - same screen size, pretty much the same keyboard.
This means nothing….

Quote:
Windows 3.1 - Windows 95 - Windows Millennium - Windows XP - Windows Vista and Windows 7 weren't upgrades - right?
That was cute…You just made me realize how long I’ve been in IT…BTW you forgot Windows 2000(between ME and XP)

Quote:
Why has Sprint been sending me e-mails suggesting I upgrade my TP2 with the Arrive?
Because they are trying to sell you a phone so you can extend/renew your contract….Sprint did same to me when the EVO, EVO Shift, and finally the Arrive came out

Quote:

I had a really good response to this part but lost it all when I hit submit….so since I don’t feel like re-writing it I’ll just say we will agree to disagree on MS intentions with WP7….
Old 04-20-2011, 04:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Arrive

livejazz is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

The rush to market prevented MS from including all the functionality that iintended by the vision. I think patience and resolve will reveal a superior device, in all respects, to all of the others and be used on form factors that contribute to the particular users needs. I, too, do not video, game, or otherwise play with mine, however I do need the keyboard as I have with every model prior to this and beginning with the PPC6600; unless, of course, you include years of iPaq-tethered-to-a-Nextel-Phone usage prior to that when I used the iPaq qwerty. My daughter, however, has some more sophomoric needs, but also prefers the slider for emails and Word/Excel Docs. So the needs are very far across the spectrum with all users. People who have only, recently, begun using these devices can probably do great without a physical keyboard because they will just begin by using the on-screen and I can see that, if I did like to watch videos and play games, I would definately want to do it on a 4.1 inch screen rather than the 3.6. People like what they like and that is why there are so many form factors. Corporations are buying, literally, thousands of Arrives (and TP2's prior to now) to accomplish their enterprise goals with MS authorized custom ROM's that companies like mine are creating. This device is just the next step for the line of form factors beginning with the 6600, 6700, mogul, TP, and TP2 and there are many companies that have been with this line for the entire run. We service them. Hope this helps clear up some of this for those who don't understand.

matt
Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
N00b

Quote:
How about we take a little at a time here

Same company…different OSes…no comparison

This means nothing….

That was cute…You just made me realize how long I’ve been in IT…BTW you forgot Windows 2000(between ME and XP)

Because they are trying to sell you a phone so you can extend/renew your contract….Sprint did same to me when the EVO, EVO Shift, and finally the Arrive came out

I had a really good response to this part but lost it all when I hit submit….so since I don’t feel like re-writing it I’ll just say we will agree to disagree on MS intentions with WP7….
We will have to agree to disagree. I guess MS just intended to write off all the TP 2 users who miss WM 6.5 features in W 7 and let Android grab them, right? And, the fact that the Arrive is just so physically similar to the TP 2 is a coincidence? As we say in court, don't let the evidence of your eyes fool you!<g>

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro