PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint PPC 6700
Carrier: Sprint

Merlin1716 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've got an original PPC 6700. It works, if that's what you call it, but it will turn itself on and off sporadically, self-activates flight mode, refuses to turn off the backlight, then won't turn it on - - you know, standard sprint issue
So - - I might be ready to try installing what seems to be (according to the reviews above) a pretty nice update. However - - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Although I'm not really happy with the sprint version - it does work (more or less).
What I need is a method to back up what is currently flashed into ROM on my PPC 6700 so that I have the original firmware AND a method to restore that backup if the new stuff somehow becomes unworkable. I can hear sprint laughing now if I were to flash the PPC, and have second thoughts later on.
Please let me know how to download my current ROM for safe keeping, with instructions on how to restore that file later, should the unthinkable happen. I would assume that the restore would involve invoking the boot-loader mode and copying the files back to the ROM - - but a step-by-step would be appreciated.
Thanks to all who have worked so hard to improve a pretty sweet little piece of hardware that sprint seems to have abandoned.
Merlin
Old 09-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff
I recommend SPB Backup for a file level backup. Then you just need to download the last "Official" ROM from Sprint... Do a full Sync with your PC before you start... Now if anything goes wrong, just Load the Official Sprint Image, Restore from your backup, and Sync again...

Note: Don't use the backup from old version of a ROM on a different ROM... You should reload your apps from scratch and Sync to get your Contacts and such on the new ROM...
Old 09-30-2007, 02:29 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint PPC 6700
Carrier: Sprint

Merlin1716 is a n00b
Angry Installation Problems with Vista?

Went to run the updater - - got the bootloader screen and plugged the PPC 6700 into the USB cable. Screen display switched to USB - - but the updater program could NOT find the device. Looked in the Windows Device Manager - - there was the PocketPC, but had a driver error listed. I downloaded the current Windows Mobile Device Manager, but that wouldn't install (Thanks Microsnot).
Of course - - I made the mistake of trying this from Winblows Blister (vista) . Took the PPC over to my trusty old WinXP machine, connected it to the USB port, and the update ran just fine .
Don't know if others have had this problem - just thought I'd mention it.
Also - - the whole thing transferred over USB 2 in about 3 mintues (much less than the 20 min listed on screen).
I'm looking forward to trying the new firmware.

Thanks !!!

Merlin

Last edited by Merlin1716; 09-30-2007 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 11-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Lurker

m7869ike is a n00b
i have no idea what is going on, but i can't seem to open the link to the zip file. i have been looking and looking and no matter what link i try i will not open Unified Project Team AKU 3.5
Old 12-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Zod
Lurker
Pocket PC: sprint ppc-6700

Zod is a n00b
New Member Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
Damn, that's what I get for uploading these at 3am.

Rebuilding now, including .net 2, MMS, TC and Live Search. The Sprint version should have the MMS settings preloaded, but the generic will not. Give me a couple hours to get them built and uploaded.

HIMYM is right. Nothing good happens after 2am.

Question for Jeff (or anyone)

so the link to the sprint version of the c & s aku has the missing files from above already amended to the download link? also, do you still need the apacheextromunlocker.cab program to unlock the ext rom unlock exe file included in this rom or not? im ready to download and havea pretty good idea how to do this without any issues, just wanted to get the low down on that. lastly, will this interfere with getting sprints $15 vision plan on my phone or not. Thanks in advance, love the site, proud owner of a ppc-6700 by HTC for sprint service and appreciate all the stuff you guys do!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
Zod,
Jeff's rom is pretty old and is not supported here anymore - I think he's moved on to other things. You might want to try the WM6 kitchen in the apache/upgrades subforum - although I would recommend that you read up for a bit before proceeding. Have fun with the new phone - it's still the best imho.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache