PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 04:52 PM
N00b

eagle63 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WPA2 on Apache?

I'd really like to use WPA2 (or WPA-AES) on my Apache, but it appears as though this isn't possible - either on the factory ROM's or any of the recent cooked ROM's.

Does anyone know the reason why? Is this a limitation on the Apache's WiFi hardware, or is it a driver issue? If it's a driver issue then wouldn't it be possible to strip some drivers from newer WM devices that DO support WPA2?

Just checking to see if anyone knows what the deal is. Thanks,

eagle63
Old 03-22-2009, 05:35 PM
My ROMS On My Site
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Verizon

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP
Re: WPA2 on Apache?

Not an option. The WiFi chip will not support. I find WPA2 almost useless. Anyways you will need to set the router to WPA-PSK or WEP.

If you enjoy my work or I have helped you out, and you want to send some love my way... it's appreciated but not required.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:28 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

eagle63 is a n00b

Darn, that's too bad. Anyone know if the 6800 supports WPA2? I suppose I could always switch my router back to WPA-TKIP, but I'd rather not. Oh well. Thanks,
Old 03-23-2009, 02:16 AM
My ROMS On My Site
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Verizon

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle63 View Post
Darn, that's too bad. Anyone know if the 6800 supports WPA2? I suppose I could always switch my router back to WPA-TKIP, but I'd rather not. Oh well. Thanks,
The 6800 does. But you gota remember, the 6700 is an old boy, been around much before these new router options.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Yeah I also was going to add that you would have to use TKIP on WPA but not WPA2. But really, unless your system is compromised by your neighbors I wouldnt bother. But I know how it is to want the latest and greatest and best thing out there.....
Old 03-23-2009, 03:39 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

eagle63 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
Yeah I also was going to add that you would have to use TKIP on WPA but not WPA2. But really, unless your system is compromised by your neighbors I wouldnt bother. But I know how it is to want the latest and greatest and best thing out there.....
Yeah, I know I'm being paranoid. My router is actually setup to use WPA-AES, which - as i understand it - is really the same thing as WPA2. In fact, I think WPA2 is just a certification rather than an actual spec or technology. So really the distinction is between AES and TKIP, the 6700 supports the latter but not the former.

Thanks all for the info!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle63 View Post
Yeah, I know I'm being paranoid. My router is actually setup to use WPA-AES, which - as i understand it - is really the same thing as WPA2. In fact, I think WPA2 is just a certification rather than an actual spec or technology. So really the distinction is between AES and TKIP, the 6700 supports the latter but not the former.

Thanks all for the info!
WPA2 implements the mandatory elements of 802.11i. In particular, it introduces a new AES-based algorithm, CCMP, which is considered fully secure.

* from wikipedia

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development